Laptop vs. Desktop

Yeah. All my family members had been accepted for Financial Aid, but the biggest problem is my mom. I have enough money to get both, but she doesn't see the point of getting two. I may end up buying a desktop and then just use my current laptop. It's horrible, but a good video card a reboot can probably fix that up good. The crack on the screen I'll have to get used to. :D

Aye, but I didn't mean it like that.

I thought your college was giving its students ones for free to work with. Didn't mean to buy 2 of them :p

If I had to choose now, I'd get a high speed laptop, just because I'd get to go on it more, and they can offer the same type of power as desktop equivilents for a good price, as long as you don't want to game with them.

As long as you don't want to do that, you can get good sound cards (if you keeping it at home, I'd buy an external one so its not using onboard), and then, you'd have high power as well (as that doesn't seem to cost that much, even on laptops nowadays).

Because I'd use it for portable music making with a MIDI keyboard, for example.

Well, i'm not in college and I'm moving to North Carolina once I finish high school, so I don't know if they'd have laptops there or not. I have to wait an see. Just one year left.

Heh, a problem with the gaming part. I'm a little bit of a gaming freak, so, one of the reasons I want a computer is for games. All I have is this Mac and a hunk of juck laptop in my room.

Hi Sahed,
If you want cheap laptops, you can try ACI laptops. They are damn cheap. I bought one just last month.

regards

Sumukh

One thing you want to consider: would you want to risk damaging your computer transporting it places, like to school and back? If you did get a laptop for school, definitely get a lower-priced one. I am not saying it has to be cheap and flimsy, but definitely don't get something over the price of a car. Shoot for $1000 USD. That would be a good limit for a school laptop.

Honostly I think $1000 is too much. All I'm going to be doing is running simple programs, typing out papers, and go on the internet for research, so probably $600-$800 is good enough.

Back
Top Bottom