Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-29-2008, 03:06 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Default Laptop use? Few questions

So I just recently got my laptop for college. Now I'm a bit curious as to he safest way to use it, not user-safety, but the safety of the laptop.

Is it bad to leave it charging the entire day (or multiple days for that matter)?
Is it bad to leave it on the entire day (not sleep mode)?
What kind of use could possibly damage the overall battery efficiency of the laptop?

Yeah, just some points I want to clarify, because I really want to be able to use his laptop for as many years as possible.

| AMD 3800+ X2 Dual Core Processor | ASUS A8N-e nF4 Ultra | Hitachi Deskstar 250gb 3.0 gb/s | 1gb Corsair Value RAM 2x512 | eVGA geforce 6800GS | sound blaster live! 24-bit | NZXT Trinity Classic chassis | OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI PSU |
I was there. In the networking forum for the first time, and it was because.. of 341
kchi55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:53 PM   #2
muz
Golden Master

Default Re: Laptop use? Few questions

well most charging systems are inteligent these days and reduce the current going to the battery once it detects that the battery is fully charged so depending on manufacturer i would say that matters that much any more

ive used and left mine on for days before and it has been fine as long as it is kept in a position where the fan can extract air you wont have any problems there its just like a normal computer

well batterys efficiency starts wearing down as soon as you start using it but i wouldnt worry about batteries that much because you can always install a new one without much trouble they are a consumable item and wont last forever as long as it isnt exposed to extreme heat or cold and rapid temp changes it should be good for a while at least a year before the battery life starts getting stupidly low

Old 08-29-2008, 07:53 PM   #3
Golden Master

Default Re: Laptop use? Few questions

Quote:
Is it bad to leave it charging the entire day (or multiple days for that matter)?
It's not bad, but it's not good either.

Quote:
Is it bad to leave it on the entire day (not sleep mode)?
If you're going to use your notebook for an extended period of time, be sure to provide proper ventilation for the notebook. You should also purchase a notebook cooler.

Quote:
What kind of use could possibly damage the overall battery efficiency of the laptop?
You should calibrate a notebook's battery. Apple has a good guide that should apply to any notebook.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

Send comments, suggestions and criticisms.
↳ 01001010listens@gmail.com
01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote