Laptop upgrades?

cruxspy

Solid State Member
New to forums, need some help.

I purchased a Sony VAIO E Series SVE15134CXW laptop a couple years ago from the navy exchange here in San Diego for about $700 give or take. Now before you get riled up, remember I was young and without guidance.

Here are the stock specs:
Manufacturer Sony Corporation
Model SVE15134CXW
Total amount of system memory 8.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2
Total size of hard disk(s) 667 GB
Disk partition
(C:) 520 GB Free (667 GB Total)
Media drive
(D:) CD/DVD
Media drive
(E:) CD/DVD
Graphics Display adapter type Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Total available graphics memory 1664 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 32 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1632 MB
Display adapter driver version 9.17.10.2817
Primary monitor resolution 1360x768 DirectX version DirectX 11 or better Network Network Adapter Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG
Wireless Network Adapter Network Adapter Realtek PCIe GBE
Family Controller Network Adapter Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter Network Adapter Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) Network Adapter LogMeIn Hamachi Virtual Ethernet Adapter

Currently, I'm using it like a desktop. It sits in it's closed position in my desk with an hdmi running into my samsung tv, with mouse and keyboard cables plugged into it like some sort of experiment.

The only thing I've done is bump it's stock 4gb of ram to 8gb, and it runs fine.

Here's my question, is there anything I can do to upgrade its graphics?

I use this for gaming, photo editing, torrenting, and the like.
I can run things like garry's mod fine on high, but without motion blur and the fancier stuff.

The only thing is I can't run games like chivalry past the lowest settings.
I have the necessary components to run it, it's just my graphics is the factor limiting me from being able to play past PS1 graphics.

I understand that laptops usually cannot be upgraded graphics wise, and that you'd need a PCI port, and I'm currently unsure whether or not my laptop has one to begin with.

I read about maybe using an external graphics dock?

I understand the expense of upgrading can just be used toward building a pc, but I'm at the point of no return.

Also, would purchasing a external HDD be beneficial in any other way other than more space?

And finally, could I setup a second vertical monitor next to my tv as an extension?

Any help on upgrading in general is appreciated, except the option of just stabbing myself and building a pc.

Last edited:
Here's my question, is there anything I can do to upgrade its graphics?

I use this for gaming, photo editing, torrenting, and the like.
I can run things like garry's mod fine on high, but without motion blur and the fancier stuff.

The only thing is I can't run games like chivalry past the lowest settings.
I have the necessary components to run it, it's just my graphics is the factor limiting me from being able to play past PS1 graphics.

I understand that laptops usually cannot be upgraded graphics wise, and that you'd need a PCI port, and I'm currently unsure whether or not my laptop has one to begin with.

I read about maybe using an external graphics dock?

I understand the expense of upgrading can just be used toward building a pc, but I'm at the point of no return.

First off, welcome.

There do exist external graphic cards, but those are meant to add 1 or more extra displays. Not increase graphic performance.
There also exist some grapic card adapters. But i don't recommend it... why? just look at it. It's a Frankenstein setup.

53847.jpg

So unfortunately it's not gonna be easy increasing the graphic performance.

Also, would purchasing a external HDD be beneficial in any other way other than more space?

Not really... well.. the less stuff you have on the C drive the less cluttered it is. It's easier for it to arrange files for faster access.
So if you have a lot of stuff on the C drive that is important, then using a external could gain a little (and i mean a little) read performance.
But for the money you are using, it's better buying a new internal harddrive. Harddrives get slower over time. So a new fresh harddrive will do much more for you than buying an external harddrive for the sake of performance.

And finally, could I setup a second vertical monitor next to my tv as an extension?
Yes, but you properly need an external video card to do that on a laptop.

First off, welcome.

There do exist external graphic cards, but those are meant to add 1 or more extra displays. Not increase graphic performance.
There also exist some grapic card adapters. But i don't recommend it... why? just look at it. It's a Frankenstein setup.

53847.jpg

So unfortunately it's not gonna be easy increasing the graphic performance.

Thanks for the info. Could you go into more detail about how I would be able to go about doing this?

If you want to be able to play games on highest settings then either a gaming laptop or desktop is the way to go..

Yeah that card is in the recommend range for using the dock but don't expect to run games on the highest settings as that is a old and low end card..

Back
Top Bottom