laptop struck by lightning

linuxx

Solid State Member
ok so, my brother has this cheap little gateway laptop.. he says it wont turn on and now he said he thinks the lighting may have caused the os to be deleted. I dont know. is this computer completely fried or how would someone go about having this thing fixed?

Will the thing even turn on?

Lightning could have fried it. The hard drive, motherboard, CPU, everything.

Umm.. Lightning would have nothing to do with the OS being deleted. Corrupt the Hard Drive, yes, deleting anything, no. Sorry, I just had to get that out there.

If it does turn on, then what is it doing, if anything?

will not go past the bios screen. doesnt show any sign of an Operating system on the computer. I do not have the computer in front of me. i was asking so i can know if he needs to just throw it away lol. and fyi. that is just hear say of what he says it deletd the os, I have not had the chance to look at it. but anywho thanks

GO BEARS! he. had to throw that out there. im a ginormous bears fan!

Does it give any errors after loading the bios? Such as an NTLDR error or something saying there isn't an operating system to load?

You can run Chkdsk (short for Check Disk) to see if the actual hard drive is physically bad. And if it is then you can have it try and fix the corrupted portions.

Back
Top Bottom