Laptop sound problem

Richard C

Beta member
Hi from a newby :)
Wife has a Compaq 615 laptop (approx 2 years old) running Windows 7 Home Premium. A few days ago, the external speakers suddenly stopped working & all the software checks (even tried a system restore) I've made so far indicate nothing amis or disabled & the the sound chip still appears to be working via the headphone socket. Have I missed something really obvious or should I now suspect some form of internal hardware failure?

I'm reasonable experienced with curing software faults (but not this one) & have been building/faulting my own desktop PC's for many, many years but have never had a laptop apart. The thought of taking an unguided screwdriver to the laptop case screws scares me to the point I may end up doing more harm than good, any suggestions welcome?

If the headphone port still works fine, then it sounds like the external speaker is to blame. I don't know where the speaker is located, and sometimes taking a laptop apart is easy, but sometimes it's tricky. And sometimes the part you are looking for is easily accessible and sometimes you have to dig and dig and dig to get to it.

I can't offer much more advice than that...whether helpful or not, idk.

Back
Top Bottom