Laptop sound issues

sorted

Baseband Member
hello, i am finding that whenever i use my laptop headset to plug my amp into, there is an awful crackling through the speakers.. this only happens when i have my power adapter plugged in.... the sound is fine when it is not.

any ideas on a solution, thanks

Hmm, this is some sort of electrical interference with the power connector, sound card, and amp when together.

May I ask what mode you have the AMP on when running through from the laptop?

Phono? Video 1? Video 2?

If its Phono, then this is a very sensitive connection, and notices anything, and the trouble you see with a onboard sound circuit and chip is that its interceptable to interference like that, including hard drive noise, etc for example.

So try it on Video 1, or 2 if it has it, or something along those lines for connecting devices to it :)

I hope this helps

Hmm...this will be why then probably, since it is a very sensitive connection since it is used to pick up record deck signals.

So your amps not digital then :(

Well, it should be the same as the phono really...using that type of connection, 3.5mm, just like what is coming out of your laptop to connect to it which then connects to a stereo output. So just check around the back.

Another thing to try though if there are no connections is to lower the sound on the laptop, and try to increase it on the amp instead, or try the other way.

One last thing, go into Volume Controls on the taskbar on the right by double clicking it, and just check for 'Microphone' and if its not muted, mute it.

if its not there though, go to Options, Properties, and then click to show it on the volume control. Press okay, and then mute it if its not already. Does this help?

I hope this helps

I am using an old valve amp, you get more bass from these, but unfortunately no video connections...
the microphone was on mute.. i hoped it was not.. but it was.
and yeh i noticed messing around with the volume does reduce the crackling if you get it right, but is still very noticeable.

I have heard of an electrical signal reducer which may combat this... and also tales of putting tape around part of the connector to the laptop.

I have also heard that many musicians have this problem playing live with their laptop, this is also my problem.

thanks for your help.

does anyone know of a solution?

Yeah, I know how this could proove a problem, and seems to be more a problem with non digital amps like yours that can't reduce the input at all :(

You could try getting an electrical signal reducer, yeah :) Sounds like the right type of thing, though I have no idea how much this would set you back...

What do you run through the laptop to the sound system anyway? Audio Cd's? MP3's?
If its MP3's, it might be worth getting a digital audio player and connect this up to your system instead which would produce a better signal and wouldn't crackle.

Or, now I just thought of this. Get a external Sound card for USB, which would fit at the back of your laptop.
What this would do is again produce a better output than your onboard sound, and shouldn't set you back that much. Ones by Creative are very good :D

Good luck with it.

Back
Top Bottom