Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-29-2008, 04:00 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Question Laptop is ruined :( unless you can help!! Weirdest computer problem I've ever had!

Hey everyone - Weird problem, lately my HP DV9000t laptop has been acting up, the screen was flickering black every once in a while and then fixing itself. But then it started not fixing itself and instead doing a BSOD right after and then rebooting. Now I can't even get to windows login without it going black.

Weirder: the HP logo on boot up and BIOS are all discolored and have weird lines and stuff through them

Weirdest: I can go into safe mode and everything works PERFECTLY - i mean the display is obviously bad resolution and everything, but zero discoloration, lines, or flickering.

So my question: how can the BIOS have display problems that the windows safe mode doesnt?? This is so weird!!

Vista is the OS by the way

thanks in advance

Old 10-29-2008, 05:32 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Laptop is ruined :( unless you can help!! Weirdest computer problem I've ever had

its a virus, run a virus scan in safe mode and it should be fixed

Old 10-29-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Laptop is ruined :( unless you can help!! Weirdest computer problem I've ever had

a virus making my BIOS look weird?? i uninstalled display drivers and was able to go back in regular once, then windows tried to install them again and it went back to bad mode. now i cant get back to regular windows, even if i uninstall the display drivers again. only safe mode works
Old 10-29-2008, 06:04 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Get on safe mode and do a virus scan. Or, it could just be bad drivers. Can you give us some more information about your laptop?
rohan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:07 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

yes, go into safe mode, uninstall the drivers, then install new ones from HP in safe mode.
nevermind1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:16 PM   #6
Daemon Poster

^^ tried both of those steps. no luck. as soon as i reinstall the drivers it gets upset. and drivers or no drivers, i can no longer access regular vista at all anymore. Tried drivers from both HP and windows update. same result.

The laptop is an HP DV9000t with Core 2 Duo Processors 64bit Windows Vista, nVidia 7600go graphics, and 200GB 7200RPM hard drive, 2GB RAM

running AVG free in safe mode right now...
Old 10-29-2008, 06:56 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

See if that works. If not, you will have to do a fresh install of Windows.
rohan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:22 PM   #8
Daemon Poster

It just finished . No luck - same problems. Why will a fresh install of windows have any effect on the BIOS or opening HP logo though?? This is before windows even starts!
Old 10-29-2008, 08:06 PM   #9
In Runtime

I doubt it's a windows problem. I bet you have a virus, driver, or a hardware problem.
possibly a loose connection or something else failing.

did you change the settings of your display recently or get a update from microsoft then notice the problem?
microsoft doesn't always provide the correct drivers through update. they have the wrong drivers for my sound card. if I install it, it quits working.
serpentracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:24 PM   #10
BSOD

To me. Sounds like a bad video card/driver. That's like having your laptop set on fire, because you can't replace it, you could try a new mobo too. I don't think a virus would kill the bios or mess with the screen tho lol.

Anti-Flag is offline   Reply With Quote