Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-24-2014, 01:37 PM   #21
In Runtime

Default Re: Laptop repair mission

Well, the laptop is now working, I haven't replaced the motherboard, but I did try the oven trick, I stripped every component from the board, put it in the oven on gas mark 5 for 5 minutes (eat your heart out Gordon Ramsey!). Put it back in and it works, one thing I am worried about is I didn't replace the thermal compound as I didn't have any, from the looks of it it was a pad, it seems to be working okay at the minute, but I shall monitor the temps for a while, it is however I believe riddled with Malware, Chrome wouldn't let me browse and Firefox made me add an exception for every single page I went on, so far Malware bytes has found 10 infections so I'll see how it runs after. Thanks everyone in computer forums for your time on this, I don't know how long it will work for, but since the temporary repair was free I'm going to return it to the owner, thanks again everyone.

Corsair Carbide spec 3 * Gigabyte Socket 1151 * Intel I5 7600k 3.8ghz * 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133mhz * Corsair CX750 * 2gb Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 Strix * 1TB internal Samsung spinpoint * Windows 10 home
emperor76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:32 AM   #22
Fully Optimized

Nice. Glad to hear you got it going. Weird that the oven trick works, I've heard of it, but never knew anyone who actually tried it. Congrats.

It might also be best to format and reinstall the OS if it's that full of junk.

jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:22 AM   #23
In Runtime

I would normally not have tried it, but I thought, I can't make it any worse, although, I have to admit I forgot to reconnect the fan for the heatsink, new rule not to work on them in a rush I think, as I took it apart to connect it the ram and hard drive felt hot, I think I've been lucky there. I did re fomat in the end though, and remove the colossal amount of Samsung bloatware

Corsair Carbide spec 3 * Gigabyte Socket 1151 * Intel I5 7600k 3.8ghz * 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133mhz * Corsair CX750 * 2gb Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 Strix * 1TB internal Samsung spinpoint * Windows 10 home
emperor76 is offline   Reply With Quote