laptop randomly restarts

I thought that was the number of the entry in the event log.

There has been a troublesome update that keeps failing and reverting changes which ends up turning into a 3 reboot cycle before I can get to my login screen. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Roll it back to before the update has been installed and see if it makes an differences. An update can def do this to you. Do you happen to know what the update was?

And nope that is the error code, if you or organize to type it will put all the error in the manner of information, warning and error. If you do that you can see what errors it is getting before it does its reboot and you may be able to figure something out that way. If you go to the details on the error and click on the link it will take you directly to microsofts site and will have a microsoft solution for the error

never liked repairing something always ends up going wrong but you can boot the console and run some of the tools, i would go with an inplace upgrade over a repair.

I dont think it would. It would have been an update that had already been installed on the machine htat would cause the issue. Did you try to Roll it back to before you starting having the issue? I would do this first. and it if does not resolve the issue. I would run a repair like foothead said or i would do an inplace upgrade which is what i would do.

I really do not know which update to roll back Looking back in my events this happened back in may, july september and november last year aswell I must have just overlooked the issue but then it goes december-march 12 with it not happening and then just starts happening again. I may just reinstall windows 7 but I do not go back home until tuesday so I'll just have to use it as is for now and fix it then. At least it doesn't reset when I am using it just when it is left to idle.

well try this if you got some time till you plan on doing this got to:

1. computer properties
2. Advanced system settings
3. Click on the avanced tab
4. Startup and recovery
5. under system failure uncheck the automatically restart

If you do this next time it happens it should not restart and give you an error on the screen to what has failed and why it is going to shutdown, it is prolly a memory dump error or something like that. Let me know what it says

hey mikee ever though of going with virtualization? if you like to have multiple OS going instead of having to do what you did in putting them all on the same HDD you can virtualize them. I have a couple xp boxes and a win7 box virtualized. You can use sun box, vmware workstation or whatever microsofts solution is i think its virtual pc but it sucks sunbox is nice and its free

well try this if you got some time till you plan on doing this got to:

1. computer properties
2. Advanced system settings
3. Click on the avanced tab
4. Startup and recovery
5. under system failure uncheck the automatically restart

If you do this next time it happens it should not restart and give you an error on the screen to what has failed and why it is going to shutdown, it is prolly a memory dump error or something like that. Let me know what it says

hey mikee ever though of going with virtualization? if you like to have multiple OS going instead of having to do what you did in putting them all on the same HDD you can virtualize them. I have a couple xp boxes and a win7 box virtualized. You can use sun box, vmware workstation or whatever microsofts solution is i think its virtual pc but it sucks sunbox is nice and its free

Ok I disabled automatically restart and now the computer just stays on but frozen with the screen off instead of resetting. Still only doing it in 7

Hum no error code then? Looks like it would be a good idea to do a repair or a reinstall or an inplace upgrade if you dont want to loose anything

Back
Top Bottom