Laptop Query..PC and Mac

DennyCrane99

Solid State Member
I am beginning to look for a laptop for my 12 yr old.
There is not enough room in his room to accomodate a PC, and since he will use it mostly to IM friends, do homework, and internet surf, play, DL music and video/play movies, with a webcam, and wifi built in.

What would anyone recommend?
factoring in price for value.....Obviously we don't want to go crazy with price..This will be an "all inclusive gift"..LOL..Christmas , birthday, groundhogs day etc..LOL

Have seen many sales in

Thankyou..

My older son, Jr year in HS, wants a Mac book...Knowing little to nothing about them..
What is the recommended choice in this area..?

Thanks again...

I am beginning to look for a laptop for my 12 yr old.
There is not enough room in his room to accomodate a PC, and since he will use it mostly to IM friends, do homework, and internet surf, play, DL music and video/play movies, with a webcam, and wifi built in.

What would anyone recommend?
factoring in price for value.....Obviously we don't want to go crazy with price..This will be an "all inclusive gift"..LOL..Christmas , birthday, groundhogs day etc..LOL

Have seen many sales in

Thankyou..

My older son, Jr year in HS, wants a Mac book...Knowing little to nothing about them..
What is the recommended choice in this area..?

Thanks again...

a 12yr old!?
i would make em' use the 'family' pc in a not very quiet or private place
or you could get them one of those 'mini' laptops
and are children friendly
i cant remember where ive seen them

as for JR. and a mac
tell em' to pinch his pennies
take a look
just on that page in the link you can see base prices
if your up to that bill
get em the cheapest you can find
look at a local dealer
they will have cheaper prices (Best Buy is where i noticed that)
but i wouldnt get him one IMHO
i would say 'only when you go to collage'
and when he does, i would use a student loan
at least thats the way i will do it in the spring, after christmas
i will be returning to collage

hope it helps

Thanks..He's a responsible 12 yr old..I have no needs or worries about visual content,,I can block out the unwanted.
I would set up the visitors and guests allowed into his computer.
Mostly friends from school, or on his football, and baseball teams.

He just wants something for him..He's a good student, and an excellent athlete. I trust him fully.

The older one..LOL

I just didn't know if there was an inherent difference between a mac and pc laptop, or if one was head and shoulders above the other..

And by the way hedhoe..It's COLLEGE for school, and COLLAGE for a collection...

Maybe you should head back sooner than later..LOL

Maybe you should leave?
You're no better than anyone here. He was simply helping you out. And you treat him like that?
i think you owe him an apology.
You came here for help, Not to disrespect others.

Thanks..He's a responsible 12 yr old..I have no needs or worries about visual content,,I can block out the unwanted.
I would set up the visitors and guests allowed into his computer.
Mostly friends from school, or on his football, and baseball teams.

He just wants something for him..He's a good student, and an excellent athlete. I trust him fully.

The older one..LOL

I just didn't know if there was an inherent difference between a mac and pc laptop, or if one was head and shoulders above the other..

And by the way hedhoe..It's COLLEGE for school, and COLLAGE for a collection...

Maybe you should head back sooner than later..LOL

its hedoe
and im only a human working a seasonal part-time job just to pay the bills
and right now im lucky if i get time to log on

but a mac wont crash, ever!
never gets a virus
and they look really good

the down side
price

I'd get your 12yrd old son a dell laptop, go to dell.com and build your laptop there. if he is into games i'd stay stick with intergrated graphics for him because the intergrated graphic's cards these day's aren't bad at all. my laptop is a 2006 and the intergrated graphics stink.but these days the intergrated cards are alot better than they were before. I would say your budget would be 799-999 you can easily make it cheaper, umm I would get 2gb of ram, 1 won't do it. even for me. I am taking up like 58% on my hard drive and my pc is starting to slow down a tiny bit. For your older son, if he wants a mac book then get him one, but he is going to have a hard time finding games to play,their ain't that many games out there (as of I know) for any macbooks. (besides SPORE) hoped this helped ^_^

they made a program called boot camp
it allows the mac users to play/ use any pc supported software

Maybe you should leave?
You're no better than anyone here. He was simply helping you out. And you treat him like that?
i think you owe him an apology.
You came here for help, Not to disrespect others.

It was a joke..And hedoe wasn't offended.....What are you the pc police..

It was a friendly jab, hence the LOL after the comment..

Lighten up Francis!!!

Thanks for all the great replies..And hedoe for seeing the humor in a query..
Austinn dude you REALLY need to lighten up, seriously..

I am gonna start pricing out a few, not sure if I should wait it out another month as to review the upcoming holiday sales on these...

Have a great day...

but a mac wont crash, ever!
never gets a virus
and they look really good

Never get a virus? What if it's programmed in Java? That can infect any computer system. Also why would Symantec make an AV for them if they never get infected?

http://www.symantec.com/norton/macintosh/antivirus

You can still get a virus, it's just not as likely. It will become more likely as more people use macs since virus programs don't waste time coding something that will only mess with 10% of the computer market. As that market share increases though... Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom