Laptop Power Problem, So confused

Guider

Solid State Member
hey, I have an IBM thinkpad. When I bought the laptop it didn't have a power supply, but I bought one from toyecomputers and it's an official IBM. It has worked perfectly for about a year but today it has stopped working. If I unplug it and wait a minute and try again it works for about a minute, then suddenly stops for no apparent reason.
This Laptop is VERY important.

What do you think it could be? Would I just be able to tell toyecomputers that it has stopped working and get a replacement?

Thankyou

Sounds like it's gone kerput alright.

I'd just get a replacement.

Why is your laptop so important? Are you a special covert operations technician working for MI6 or the CIA? Whose job it is to hack into potential threat's mainframes and kick their ass?

Are is it just for work and such?

Lac3y said:
Sounds like it's gone kerput alright.

I'd just get a replacement.

Why is your laptop so important? Are you a special covert operations technician working for MI6 or the CIA? Whose job it is to hack into potential threat's mainframes and kick their ass?

Are is it just for work and such?
I am a special covert operations technician working for MI18 (Don't tell anybody about this). My job is to find vulnerabilities in terrorists communication systems to penetrate their corrupt society and steal valuable information and such. It's really quite dull.

Why do you think it could be an issue with my actual laptop spank_fusion?
I personally think it is the charger because it used to get hot ater being on for an hour or two, but now if I leave it on for that period of time it doesn't get hot, it just stays cold. So it's not getting power or something.

rusbo.uk said:
i'd imagine you could go for the refund, do you have a receipt?
I should have a receipt somewhere. I bought it online and I think it came with a receipt so I will have a look.

I really appreciate your help on this. Thankyou.

A584537 said:
Why do you think it could be an issue with my actual laptop spank_fusion?
I personally think it is the charger because it used to get hot ater being on for an hour or two, but now if I leave it on for that period of time it doesn't get hot, it just stays cold. So it's not getting power or something.
Well, power supplies do get hot. Also, just because it stopped getting hot recently doesn't mean that it's the problem. If the laptop is not drawing power from it, there would be no current flowing through the supply, and no heat would be generated.

As for me thinking it's the laptop - I can't really say. Call it a gut feeling. It just doesn't sound like a power supply problem to me. If you can get a refund for it though, go for it. It's worth a try.

spank_fusion said:
Well, power supplies do get hot. Also, just because it stopped getting hot recently doesn't mean that it's the problem. If the laptop is not drawing power from it, there would be no current flowing through the supply, and no heat would be generated.

As for me thinking it's the laptop - I can't really say. Call it a gut feeling. It just doesn't sound like a power supply problem to me. If you can get a refund for it though, go for it. It's worth a try.
Ok Thanks a lot, I will e-mail them now to see if I can get a refund.

does your power supply have a light on it that indicates whether current is going through it? And your laptop should have a light on it that tells you whether it's on a/c power.

With that information you should be able to tell where the problem is.

Lac3y said:
does your power supply have a light on it that indicates whether current is going through it? And your laptop should have a light on it that tells you whether it's on a/c power.

With that information you should be able to tell where the problem is.
The laptop has a light which lights up for about a minute then goes out, so it isn't getting any power.

The adapter doesn't have a light, and it stays cold, so I think it's the adapter that is messed up.

Back
Top Bottom