Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-22-2005, 02:05 PM   #1
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5
Default Laptop Power Problem, So confused

hey, I have an IBM thinkpad. When I bought the laptop it didn't have a power supply, but I bought one from toyecomputers and it's an official IBM. It has worked perfectly for about a year but today it has stopped working. If I unplug it and wait a minute and try again it works for about a minute, then suddenly stops for no apparent reason.
This Laptop is VERY important.

What do you think it could be? Would I just be able to tell toyecomputers that it has stopped working and get a replacement?

Thankyou
__________________

A584537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 02:41 PM   #2
Daemon Poster
 
Lac3y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,110
Send a message via MSN to Lac3y
Default Re: Laptop Power Problem, So confused

Sounds like it's gone kerput alright.

I'd just get a replacement.

Why is your laptop so important? Are you a special covert operations technician working for MI6 or the CIA? Whose job it is to hack into potential threat's mainframes and kick their ass?

Are is it just for work and such?
__________________

__________________
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.7GHz
4GB OCZ PC-6400 RAM
Samsung Spinpoint 1TB HDD
ATI Radeon HD4890 with VoltageTweak
OCZ Stealth XStream 600w PSU
Lac3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 03:01 PM   #3
BSOD
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,734
Default Re: Laptop Power Problem, So confused

It sounds like there's an issue with the actual laptop. You might want to call IBM about it.
catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 03:04 PM   #4
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5
Default Re: Laptop Power Problem, So confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac3y
Sounds like it's gone kerput alright.

I'd just get a replacement.

Why is your laptop so important? Are you a special covert operations technician working for MI6 or the CIA? Whose job it is to hack into potential threat's mainframes and kick their ass?

Are is it just for work and such?
I am a special covert operations technician working for MI18 (Don't tell anybody about this). My job is to find vulnerabilities in terrorists communication systems to penetrate their corrupt society and steal valuable information and such. It's really quite dull.

Why do you think it could be an issue with my actual laptop spank_fusion?
I personally think it is the charger because it used to get hot ater being on for an hour or two, but now if I leave it on for that period of time it doesn't get hot, it just stays cold. So it's not getting power or something.
A584537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 03:05 PM   #5
Fully Optimized
 
macbook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,468
Send a message via MSN to macbook
Default Re: Laptop Power Problem, So confused

i'd imagine you could go for the refund, do you have a receipt?
__________________
4GB Intel Core Duo - 1.25 GB DDR2 SDRAM
macbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 03:08 PM   #6
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5
Default Re: Laptop Power Problem, So confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusbo.uk
i'd imagine you could go for the refund, do you have a receipt?
I should have a receipt somewhere. I bought it online and I think it came with a receipt so I will have a look.

I really appreciate your help on this. Thankyou.
A584537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 03:15 PM   #7
BSOD
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,734
Default Re: Laptop Power Problem, So confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by A584537
Why do you think it could be an issue with my actual laptop spank_fusion?
I personally think it is the charger because it used to get hot ater being on for an hour or two, but now if I leave it on for that period of time it doesn't get hot, it just stays cold. So it's not getting power or something.
Well, power supplies do get hot. Also, just because it stopped getting hot recently doesn't mean that it's the problem. If the laptop is not drawing power from it, there would be no current flowing through the supply, and no heat would be generated.

As for me thinking it's the laptop - I can't really say. Call it a gut feeling. It just doesn't sound like a power supply problem to me. If you can get a refund for it though, go for it. It's worth a try.
catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 03:18 PM   #8
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5
Default Re: Laptop Power Problem, So confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank_fusion
Well, power supplies do get hot. Also, just because it stopped getting hot recently doesn't mean that it's the problem. If the laptop is not drawing power from it, there would be no current flowing through the supply, and no heat would be generated.

As for me thinking it's the laptop - I can't really say. Call it a gut feeling. It just doesn't sound like a power supply problem to me. If you can get a refund for it though, go for it. It's worth a try.
Ok Thanks a lot, I will e-mail them now to see if I can get a refund.
A584537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 04:10 PM   #9
Daemon Poster
 
Lac3y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,110
Send a message via MSN to Lac3y
Default Re: Laptop Power Problem, So confused

does your power supply have a light on it that indicates whether current is going through it? And your laptop should have a light on it that tells you whether it's on a/c power.

With that information you should be able to tell where the problem is.
__________________
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.7GHz
4GB OCZ PC-6400 RAM
Samsung Spinpoint 1TB HDD
ATI Radeon HD4890 with VoltageTweak
OCZ Stealth XStream 600w PSU
Lac3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 04:38 PM   #10
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5
Default Re: Laptop Power Problem, So confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac3y
does your power supply have a light on it that indicates whether current is going through it? And your laptop should have a light on it that tells you whether it's on a/c power.

With that information you should be able to tell where the problem is.
The laptop has a light which lights up for about a minute then goes out, so it isn't getting any power.

The adapter doesn't have a light, and it stays cold, so I think it's the adapter that is messed up.
__________________

A584537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0