Laptop POSTing Problem :S Please help!!!

steveoderocker

Baseband Member
Hey All :) its been a while siince i posted here... :)

Anyways....this is the situation.

I have my LG Laptop (specs will be below), and i had it hooked up on my tv (which is what i always do) steaming some media...anyway that was yesterday and it was working 100% fine. Now today, i try to turn it on, it POSTS, then blue screens and hangs at the blue screen for about 5min (i could tell it was hanging because it did not finish "collecting" data) then it restarted, and no POST. Then i trust a hard shutdown, then start up, no logo, no POST, nothing. Tried connecting to another monitor...nothing being outputed. It still has power, as on startup it "reads" the hard drive (the led flashes) and the DVD drive opens/reads and closes. I have tried starting without the battery/with bat/with AC power/like everything...removed the hard drive...not feeling very comfortable about touching the RAM though :/ only because i haven't dealt with laptop hard ware very much...and don't want anything ELSE to go wrong :/

Just wondering if ANYONE knows a solution or AT LEAST the cause...that would be something at least...google has not been very friendly.......

Also...i doubt it's an over heating problem...it HAS been pretty hot and humid here in Melbourne (Australia), but...its worked in alot more heat....also...just touching the laptop...it's stone cold...so...yer...

Help would be sooooo appreciated :):):):)

Thanx All!!

SPECS:
LG LS50a (about 4/5 years old)
1 GB ram (2 X 512mb)
70GB Sata HDD
ATI 9700 GFX Card
Intel Centrino Pentium 1.X GHz Processor
Intel Pro wireless 2200b/g wireless card
DVD Combo Drive
For any other specs either post or use google :)

Again Thanx all!!!!

Heat and laptops is a cumulative effect. Just because it worked fine in hotter situations in the past doesn't mean it can continue to keep operating at lesser, though still substantial heat factors, forever. As the system ages, its ability to disperse the heat it generates declines due to dust build up and the evaporation / decay of the thermal compound on the various heat exchange surfaces.

That being said and based on what you're describing, the system DOES sound like it overheated and killed something. To be 100% Sure however, you need to do the following.

- Unplug the power adapter and disconnect the battery
- Get a can of compressed air or an air compressor (not too high on the PSI) and dust the system out. Use short, quick bursts and don't let the fan in the heatsink assembly spin too fast, or you can burn out the motor in it (assuming it hasn't already).
- When dusting the exhaust ports out, listen to the sounds the laptop makes - does the fan spin easily, or is there nothing when you blow air into the exhaust? If there isn't anything, it's highly possible the fan died.
- Plug in JUST the power after letting the laptop sit overnight. Turn it on. What happens?

If nothing, it's highly likely that the system is just dead. Heat does bad things to electronics in general, but even more so when it's a laptop. Leaving it turned off and unplugged overnight will tell you pretty much everything when you go to turn it on again the next day.

Heat and laptops is a cumulative effect. Just because it worked fine in hotter situations in the past doesn't mean it can continue to keep operating at lesser, though still substantial heat factors, forever. As the system ages, its ability to disperse the heat it generates declines due to dust build up and the evaporation / decay of the thermal compound on the various heat exchange surfaces.

That being said and based on what you're describing, the system DOES sound like it overheated and killed something. To be 100% Sure however, you need to do the following.

- Unplug the power adapter and disconnect the battery
- Get a can of compressed air or an air compressor (not too high on the PSI) and dust the system out. Use short, quick bursts and don't let the fan in the heatsink assembly spin too fast, or you can burn out the motor in it (assuming it hasn't already).
- When dusting the exhaust ports out, listen to the sounds the laptop makes - does the fan spin easily, or is there nothing when you blow air into the exhaust? If there isn't anything, it's highly possible the fan died.
- Plug in JUST the power after letting the laptop sit overnight. Turn it on. What happens?

If nothing, it's highly likely that the system is just dead. Heat does bad things to electronics in general, but even more so when it's a laptop. Leaving it turned off and unplugged overnight will tell you pretty much everything when you go to turn it on again the next day.

Hey,

I left the laptop overnight...and it started! sort of... :/ it got to the windows 7 login screen and then the screen just got a bunch of horizontal lines through it :/...hard shutdown and now nothing :/

EDIT:
Laptop is working now....seems very odd :S anyone know of any tests i can run to check the integrity of the components?

ty :)

Back
Top Bottom