laptop overheats, tips?

bessonberry

Baseband Member
my cooling pad just broke, and i'm not planning on purchasing another one for a month or so (black friday deals and what not).

does anyone have any tips to keep a laptop cool? compressed airing the vents, anything like that.

it overheats and just straight up shuts down when it gets too hot, usually happens when i'm gaming on one of my many steam games, not sure if that has any relevance, but it might.

lemme know!

Last edited:
Blow out the vents with compressed air. You should do this often as laptops are more susceptible to dust due to the small vents.

How did it break exactly?

It is a good opportunity to gain personal experience here. Bring your tools and open it up and try to figure out the problem. Could be a stuck fan, clogged heat sink or vents, lose cables or something else. That's for the cooling pad.

As for my tips for the laptop, always run on a level surface to avoid blocking ventilation. Also make sure which sides have the side ventilation and don't let anything block it. Just some basics.

How did it break exactly?

It is a good opportunity to gain personal experience here. Bring your tools and open it up and try to figure out the problem. Could be a stuck fan, clogged heat sink or vents, lose cables or something else. That's for the cooling pad.

As for my tips for the laptop, always run on a level surface to avoid blocking ventilation. Also make sure which sides have the side ventilation and don't let anything block it. Just some basics.

i'll definitely give it a look over and see if i can give it a fix. :)

If you have a 14inch laptop then this is the one I use DEEPCOOL - Notebook Cooler - N17, Its works excellent and has very good airflow. I'd go with deepcool as their cooling pads are very good DEEPCOOL - Notebook Cooler

mine's larger than a 14inch laptop. :( i'll definitely keep deepcool in mind though when\if i purchase one. :thumb:

The best thing you can do is buy some actric silver paste and new thermal pads

then take your laptop apart. clean it of all the dust, clean off alll the old thermal paste an thermal pads and replace it all with the new stuff. i do this every year on my laptops.

You can normally find dissemble vids on youtube.

Back
Top Bottom