Laptop not recognizing ram

racincc84

Baseband Member
I have a HP pavilion n3310 laptop running windows xp pro w/ sp2. I recently purchased a stick of kingston 256mb pc133 ram for it. after i installed it, the computer is only recognizing half of it and saying i only have 128 installed. My computer is capable of handling 512mb of ram. any ideas on why this is and what can be done to fix it?

the manual for my computer says to use pc100 and i used pc 133, but i dont think that would make a difference seeing they are both SDRAM. All of the ram should still be recognized, but it will just operate at the pc100 speed right?

Don't you have to have the same CAS latency for your memory installed? I thought that if you installed memory with different latencies, it, for lack of better words, messed up. Also, if your computer doesn't say that it can use PC133 memory, then most likely it won't work.

Hope that helps.

-Jamxx

No. If your pc isnt capable of 133, then it cant work. It only owrks if both ram works in da system and then it'll run at a slower speed of the two.

It's either...

There are 2 types of pc100/133 cards. One is single density the other is double density. The reason you're only seeing half of the card is you installed double density when it should have been single. Chips on just one side give away it's double density. Chips on both sides say it's single. Check it. If it's not right take it back and get the right one. My Toshiba Tecra 520cdt is the same finicky little pain in the butt when it comes to memory...
As for the speed of the ram card being 133 that is not the issue. Your system like mine will slow down the ram to pc100. Pc100 for desk and laptop systems is getting rare and costly. Just when buying pc133 ram make sure it's backward compatable. Some asshole companies are building pc133 ram that will not slow down in an effort to close out use of pc133 ram system in favor of ddr...
DO YOUR HOMEWORK > BEFORE < YOU BUY!!!

the ram that was already installed was single density ( Chips on both sides) and the one that i bought was also single density. The chip that was previously installed was 64mb, all of which registered with the computer. Now i am really confused as to why it wont register if i used the correct type.

Back
Top Bottom