Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default laptop not acting right!!

hello all i have a
HP 15-f010wm Notebook PC

When i connect the charger i get the light next to the charging port on the laptop... When i power it up the power led light turns on but i gets no fan spin neither hard drive an a blank screen... the power led light would stay on for lets say about 10 seconds then blinks come back on and do the same thing over and over.. But no fan is spinning neither is the hard drive ( not even getting the hard drive light).. I tried it with out the battery installed and just the charger plug in an the other way around and its the same thing.. i opened it up disconnected everything from the board and still nothing no fan spinning.. I am starting to think if there is a problem with the board or the cpu can someone shed some knowledge in what you think is the problem please thanks..

DizzyRunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:51 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: laptop not acting right!!

It could be the charger itself. Test it with a multimeter for the voltage.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:02 AM   #3
Golden Master

Sounds like it could be the motherboard is on the way out, I could be wrong though..
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:44 PM   #4
In Runtime

Well first try another power cord. Most shops have universal cords to test that would give you an idea first. If it isn't the cord then it most likely is the board I'm afraid and HP's most often have the poorest quality boards.
Rich-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:41 AM   #5
Wizard of Wires

Now this IS weird. I just fixed a HP throw away laptop that was doing the same thing.

What I did was let it sit turned off on the power pack to let the battery deep charge for 3 days. I then just tonight got it back out and it fired up in repair mode. I read over the selections and decided to just boot back in to windows. It did and I looked for my tools folder which apparently the user deleted. Got ccleaner and adwcleaner. I wanted combofix but it doesn't run on 8.1. Ran them until neither one found anything. Ccleaner found the windows.old file and got rid of it also. Since combofix wouldn't run on 8.1, I opted for McAfee's Stinger. It has a narrow search range and is a romp and stomp sort of scanner. It found nothing, but I still think there's something on there. May have to run a rootkit scan in deep search mode to find it. I could be wrong but with the client's surfing habits, I don't think so.
By this time the laptop had been running for 2 hours with out dropping out. When I got through running all my diags, it had been 5 hours.

Bottom line is when I left it plugged in for 3 days then went back to it, it fired right up. Sounds like the battery may be on the way out for the one I worked on tonight.

Another thing that go wrong on some laptops is the power jack goes bad and has to be replace. When the plug gets loose it may not be making good enough contact to get the right amount of voltage to the power distribution regulators. Worth looking in to.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:15 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

What happens if you try and just boot up from the battery?

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:41 PM   #7
Wizard of Wires

Mine? Fires right up. It might be prudent to let it run down the battery and see how much life is left in it.

I still think the OP might have a flaky power jack. I've seen systems act like that when the jack was pretty worn out.

setishock is offline   Reply With Quote