Laptop Memory Upgrade question: IBM T42

rocket1406

In Runtime
hi

1gb makes a huge difference in multi tasking and games too, altho not sure how much games u can play on that, but still worth an upgrade. Depends whats already installed as to how much u can put in the laptop. I know its 512mb but is it 2x256? or 1 512. Crucial memory is good as is Kingston.

cool. Could you please guide me to the proper Kingston RAM for my laptop? They don't have a tool like Crucial did for me.

$58 for 512 MB or $122 for 1 GB (is it worth getting 1 GB upgrade for a 2.5 year old laptop? will there be a significant difference between 512 MB and 1 GB upgrade?)

Right now my system has 512 MB ... so a total of 1 GB vs 1.5 GB for the price... is it worth it, or should I go with the 512 MB upgrade?

If you can afford the 1Gb then i would go for that, thats just my opinion tho. I always like to have as much RAM as possible

I'd get the 512mb, like u said not worth spending loads on something as old as that. However it really depends on what u use it for, unless its games 1gb should do great (until Vista)

No plan to use for gaming.

Just so that my laptop doesn't struggle opening WinAmp, Firefox, and Aim 6.0 at the same time.

I decided to order 1 GB Kingston RAM from eBay for $82.99 shipped.

I know eBay is risky, but instead of buying 512 MB Crucial RAM for $57 shipped, and since 1 GB Kingston is usually like $130 + tax + shipping, I jumped on what I hope will be a deal.

The seller said it's new in factory sealed packaging, has a high rep, and posted a picture, so hopefully everything goes smoothly.

Back
Top Bottom