Laptop issues...Help!

digital21

Beta member
Hey guys and gals! I'm brand new here so play nice! :p

Anyways, I have a four year old Gateway laptop. I had it on last night as I was working on some other things. I went back to it and my computer screen was completely frozen, and the top part of the screen had some what looked like white specks on it. So, thinking that I could just restart it, I unplugged the power cord and let it die (the battery is very bad in this computer and I have to keep it plugged in at all times when I have it running, so it didn't take long for it to die). I tried re-starting...It turned on, but all I got was a black screen. Unplugged it again and tried re-starting it once again, and it made it all the way to my start-up screen but then froze. I repeated this probably about 30 times between last night and tonight, and I keep on getting the same thing. Either it just shows a blank screen (which happens more often than not) or it goes so far and locks up. I also tried to start it in safe mode and it locked up on that too. I have no idea what to try next or what happened? One bad thing is that I don't have a lot of my info backed up, which is my fault...and my main calendar is in Outlook, which isn't backed up either. Argh. This will teach me I guess. I used to be good at backing up data but once I graduated school I got out of the habit.

Wondering what everyone thinks the problem could be....how I could maybe fix it...and if I can restore my data somehow?

Thanks again!

Sounds like an overheating issue. Or a dying MOBO.

As far as backing up the data you can just pull the HDD out and hook it up to another computer. I have one of these IDE/SATA to USB adapters w/power supply and it comes in so handy: LINK

idk if this is true for your laptop but the hp dv series also get the black screen your talking about. the problem with them is the video card overheating and losing connection with the motherboard.that could be the problem with your laptop but i never use gateways so idk. it will take to long to explain the steps on how to fix it so if you need them then tell me and i will see if i can post them.

Back
Top Bottom