Laptop help

D.T.D

Beta member
i am getting a toshiba laptop for 80 CAD bucks thats a few years old
intel celeron about 500-700MHz
128 RAM
7GB
cd floppy

i sort still feel that im getting ripped off even tho im gettin it for 80 bucks. is it a good deal
i want to upgrade but im not sure i can

what i want to upgrade:
harddrive to 20 GB
RAM to 256 or higher if possible
CPU to P3 if possible
would i be able to do all that

HELP

upgrading a laptop is going to be extremely expensive. I would check prices before even spending the 80 dollars.

laptops are almost impossible to find parts for especially if they're older..you would prolly have to go on ebay buy computers then replace all the parts yourself.

Yeah, it'll be very hard to replace or at all, since some components are even sometimes soldered directly onto the motherboard...

Plus it'll cost too much if you could to be worthwhile, changing the motherboard, to replace the processor, to replace the RAM.

You might as well buy a new laptop for how much it'd cost you...all you'd have left is the case for $80 after tampering, so not worth it :(

So you could buy a new laptop (for less than it'd cost you to change parts in that) for about $<450 with those specs.

I hope this helps :)

ok but say i dont upgrade it
will i still be getting a good deal
i just want want it for listening to music/doing projects/watching movies.
the guy said i will probably be able to put more RAM and a bigger harddrive or i can get an external one but i wasnt sure about the CPU part
i can live with the celeron
so is it worth it

Yeah, you can get an external hard drive. just check that it has USB ports at the back for connecting devices too.

Its not a bad system for that price though, no :)

I'm sure you can do what you want on it, but don't expect it to play games, though just for work and music, and for watching movies if you get an external DVD drive (though this could probably be slotted in) then its perfect for what you want :)

It'll be faster than my dads VIA 1.0ghz processor anyway with 256mb of RAM he paid about £300 for! :p

Thanx alot Kage, there are two usb slots and i think i will go for it but i just had to make sure with people who know $hit about computers.
if anyone thinks i shouldnt get post quick cause im buying it tomorrow morning

well looks like your set enjoy. Make sure you get a dvd external drive that is USB 1.0 compatible too..cause i think that's what you have.

Back
Top Bottom