laptop hard drives

newbalous5001

Beta member
I was wondering if any one knew of a way to put a standard ide hard drive (40 pin) into a laptop (44 pin). I have found converters to put laptop drives into a pc, but nothing to go the other way. I understand the space problems and whatnot, but i've got a lot of old hd's and an old ibm laptop that I would like to do something with. thanks

Well, first it's a bit hard considering the size ;P The best thing would probably be to get some external case to use. Some machines can even be set to boot off these... USB or firewire...

I thought about that, but here's the problem.... my laptop does not have usb firewire or anything like that. its got a serial connection and a ps/2. :) so externals are out of the question basically. i was thinking though of almost making an external though. it would basically be like a standard hard drive through some converter of some sort, on the out side of the laptop. i'd just cut a hole in the case to run the cord out. But does anyone know of a converter that would do this?? or how I could make one? thanks again

Hehe, no USB, you've got an oldie ;P

Well, in this case, I'm unsure of what you could actually do. I think in the end, you'd do more damage than anything. I mean I bet you could make a converter if you get the connections(from the looks of it, it's just a standard 40pin connector with 2 of them for power... But you'd have to have this sitting outside the machine, and all...Just not the best enviroment for a harddrive or laptop ;P Oh, and I don't think you could have more than one harddrive either. Many laptops I don't beleive are made to contain more than one.

Also, some other problem that might arise...I'm not sure the exact pinouts for 2.5 drives, but it looks like they only use 12volts, and I'm pretty sure that 3.5" drives use both 12 and 5 volts... I might be wrong here...

I see..... I wasn't planning on keeping the old normal laptop hard drive in the laptop, as it is totally fried..... I'll have to look into the connections, and from some other things I've seen online, I might have to make my own......... thanks for the quick response!

Back
Top Bottom