Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-17-2006, 09:11 AM   #1
Beta Member

Question Laptop hard drive not responding...

Hi all,

Few days ago i had problems with my laptop eg: frequent crashes, laptop VERY VERY VERY slow, slow to the point that the HDD light wouldn't stop being on for 20 mins (showing that the HDD is busy loading or doing something) and every time i would want to watch a video clip, go on a website, the HDD would work too hard.

So i decided to use my system restore CD to clean out my laptop, it got to the progress bar where it shows you the progress of the system restore, it didn't get far, got to "Loading NTFS table" and the HDD light would be green for 30 mins, it didn't even stop once to blink, it just stayed green. Well... suddenly my laptop switched itself off because it overheated.

I powered it back up again and the hard drive didn't respond, not even blink once green when i pressed the power on button. Nothing shows up on the screen either, it's just black and i cannot hear the hard drive spinning. I swapped the hard drive for a completely new one and still the same thing happens.

My guess is maybe because the operating system of Windows XP is wiped out from the system so it can't start up on anything?

Regards

- Ellis

munkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:33 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to LambOfGod
Default Re: Laptop hard drive not responding...

How do you know the system overheated?

are you telling me that you cannot see ANYTHING on the screen

its just black, your not getting any video, not seeing the post at all?

LambOfGod- Q6600 g0 @ 3.06 Ghz * DFI LANPARTY DK X48-T2RS * Antec 1200 * Rosewill RP550 PSU * EVGA 8800 GTX Superclocked *WD 74GB Raptor * 2 X Seagate 1TB 7200.11 (RAID 1) * 4 GB DDR2 1022 GSKILL 5-5-5-13 * Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit/Windows XP 64 Bit
LambOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:14 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

Do you havea docking station? Plug your laptop into one of those and try booting it up. Also, on the back of your lap top there is a Red switch...switch to the left, then the right, should turn back on fine..happened to my desktop...the switch may be in the other order, so then it goes right then left. If that doesnt work, call up tech support at your nearest frys or computer outlet.

PokerDegenerate: Don't listen to these guys, I like the IDE makes it look vintage like a 68 Camaro SS...
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:13 PM   #4
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to Denier-of-Soup Send a message via MSN to Denier-of-Soup

Also try booting up from your Win XP install CD.
Denier-of-Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:05 PM   #5
Beta Member

Question Re: Laptop hard drive not responding...

lambofgod:

I know my laptop overheats because it gets very very hot when the laptop works very hard ie: the HDD keeps flashing non-stop. There's nothing showing up on the screen at all, the laptop powers up fine but nothing appears on the screen as soon as i turn the laptop on.

Spec:

I don't have a docking system nor that switch at the back of my laptop that you are talking about :\

Denier-of-Soup:

Yeh i tried that, still no responds. I can hear the dvd-rom drive loading up the windows CD but i can't see anything on the screen so no use.

I tried my friends monitor on my laptop last night and nothing.

Went into my nearest computer repair shop today only to be turned away because they don't repair laptops, so i have to phone up these companies that do which the guy over at the repair shop gave me. He suggested it's my motherboard that's fried out...
Old 11-20-2006, 05:33 PM   #6
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

Ok first thing, have ya tried it without ya battery in, and just the power lead? Do you get any signs of life at all any lights etc? If ya didnt have an OS installed it would still show some signs of life, so if your getting none then ya can rule that out. Whats ya laptop make and model?
Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:51 AM   #7
Beta Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffaz
Ok first thing, have ya tried it without ya battery in, and just the power lead? Do you get any signs of life at all any lights etc? If ya didnt have an OS installed it would still show some signs of life, so if your getting none then ya can rule that out. Whats ya laptop make and model?
Yup, i tried it without the battery in, just the power lead, still no sign. I get the AC adapter light on, that's all. Make of the laptop is a Toshiba A60 Sattelite
Old 11-22-2006, 10:03 AM   #8
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to LambOfGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkeh
Yup, i tried it without the battery in, just the power lead, still no sign. I get the AC adapter light on, that's all. Make of the laptop is a Toshiba A60 Sattelite
Hmm so now your not getting any video at all

I would try swapping power adapters just to see.

If its not that it could be the Backlight on the LCD...

LambOfGod- Q6600 g0 @ 3.06 Ghz * DFI LANPARTY DK X48-T2RS * Antec 1200 * Rosewill RP550 PSU * EVGA 8800 GTX Superclocked *WD 74GB Raptor * 2 X Seagate 1TB 7200.11 (RAID 1) * 4 GB DDR2 1022 GSKILL 5-5-5-13 * Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit/Windows XP 64 Bit
LambOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote