Laptop Hard Drive Extraction

Hadashi

Baseband Member
Hello, I'm, having yet more problems, but with a different computer. :D A couple of days ago I had a accident with the Fujitsu Siemens S6010 Laptop I use for typing in cafés. I got water in what I think is the graphics card area and now it sticks solid on boot and says "0210: Stuck Key 36"

The water being on the bottom of the laptop caused really weird problems with the keyboard before I realised what had happened and shut it off and because it now won't acknowledge key-presses. I'm assuming this means moisture got into the bit that runs the keyboard, but as far as I can see it should have dried off now.

Does anyone think this is fixable, or should I extract the hard drive and try to plug it in to something? I'm assuming it's sata but I have no idea. Since the computer is basically dead at the moment I'm willing to take it apart and try to dry it more if anyone thinks it is worth it.

yeah try dry it when you have taking the keyboard. Maybe some alcohol will also help clean areas that seams to still be dirty.

It's sata for sure. so it should be easy to connect it to another computer and recover the data that you don't want to lose

If the keyboard is the issue, a new one can usually be purchased quite reasonably from Ebay and they are easy to replace. The problem is determining for sure whether the keyboard is the issue without having another keyboard to swap.

Unfortunately a spare USB keyboard didn't work on either restart. I have tried to open the laptop itself but I don't think I can do it without breaking something. I've been holding a hairdryer on a low heat up to various holes in the computer but it doesn't seem to be working. Then again, I might not be getting much air in. I may just have to get a new one. :/

By the way, I have an old Sony Vaio Windows 98 computer with a busted screen and hinges, but with nothing else wrong with it. Does anyone know if I could, say, take this into PC world and get it repaired? I wouldn't ask, but I still prefer it for typing. Maybe if I got the correct screen off of ebay it would be doable? I have had the hinges replaced before, unfortunately that whole series of laptops has over-tightened hinges.

Last edited:
I doubt a USB keyboard would help in this situation. I've never taken apart your laptop but generally speaking the indicator panel above the keyboard (where the speakers are) needs to be carefully pried up. Underneath there are usually a couple of screws that hold the keyboard in place. Once those screws are removed you can lift the keyboard carefully in order to reach the keyboard's ribbon cable underneath which is typically attached to a ZIF connector. The ZIF connector needs to be opened carefully in order to detach the keyboard's ribbon cable.

Hmm, well I tried picking at the strip covering the speakers but it is basically a really thin bit of metal foil that's glued down.

Hmmm. I worked it out. You have to leaver up the edges under the keys. Wow this is a cheap piece of crap.... But anyway, it looks like flat metal under there, I really don't think I am going to accomplish anything by pulling the keyboard up, it's so thin that I am not going to get it in one piece. I was making progress removing screws from the underside of the computer, but even after I found two hiding in the HDD bay I couldn't get the back more than a third off without breaking the thing. I think I need to remove the hard drive but this is not something that I fancy doing until I know this thing is unsalvageable.

Back
Top Bottom