Laptop Graphics

bazpaul

Beta member
I need help! im buying a new laptop and would like to have a graphics card that could run most of the new games. Can anyone suggest the names of the best graphics cards for laptops in some sort of order of price+performance.

Were talking games like BF1942, call of duty,Halflife2,farcry

Thanks

Well the best mobile graphics card has gotta be the 6800 ultra Go, it performs just aswell as the standard ultra!!!

The lowest i'd go for in grpahics terms would be a Radeon 9700 Pro in a laptop, which should run new games, but not at the highest settings, and it being a laptop you couldn't go any higher than standard res unless you conncet it to an external source anyway. (usually 1024x768, 1152x864).

If you want it to last a long time, i'd go for the highest possible like Ardy89 said since you can't update a laptop graphics card easily, or at all.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the info, i know a desktop is obviously the best choice when it comes to games but i dont want a gaming PC. just a laptop for work that could play a few new games, i dont mind if its out of date in a few months!

I've been looking at Radeon 9700 on a laptop and prices look very good. Will this play Battlefield1942, call of duty, halflife2? Also i've been lookin at the Radeon X700, this seems to be the latest and best card for laptops from ATI, is that right? Would this play the games listed on a high setting.

and Finally an important question, i've seen cards with different shared memory, but how much memory do you actually need to run these listed games? Would 64mb card be sh*t, i was thinkin of 128mb. Are the 256mb cards a bit of a waste unless, you got the best game on highest setting or something???

Thanks guys

Yeah a Radeon 9700 will run those games, but it is an old card, but only in computing terms. It will still run DirectX-9 games very well since it is equipped with these features for example. Don't expect to shove the settings up too high, but thats fine.

As for the Radeon X700, this is about as good as the Geforce 6600GT that people have been talking about in the forums which is a great card, but the Radeon X700 falls a bit behind in spots compared to the Geforce 6600GT but not really a problem.
This should be good at playing games too, and you should be able to put the settings up higher than with the Radeon 9700 as its newer, so yes

You can't buy cards nowadays with 64mb of memory (well new cards), and the standard now is 128mb which is fine for most games at the moment, though newer games will love the extra 128mb of memory in a 256mb card.
It would just provide more texture memory to store more un-compressed/higher quality textures for example and that type of thing, if you were to shove the settings up. So it might be worth considering if you want to update and keep the card for a long time.

The Geforce 6800 though would still be the best choice in terms of speed and power though if you want to be playing games for a while, but do not want to keep going out buying a new card (especially if you can't). As it will run every setting at the moment, and will for many games to come, and then later on, you can just lower settings and still use this card when even newer games come out.
Though expect to pay a premium for this technology.

Hope this helps

Thats great Kage thanks for the valuable info.

Laptops with the geforce 6800go are quite expensive and probably cant afford them. I was wondering if the geforce go 5600 with 8xAGP was a good card and could withstand latest games?

Also i saw the following card on a Good Toshiba laptop, ATI 9000 IGP Graphics adjustable to 128MB VIDEO RAM. id this card way below the standard of the 9700! Also how does the X600 from ATI compare to the X700??

Also a friend of mine suggested that gettin an AMD64 proccessor would be much better for gaming then a pentium. Does anyone know how true this is?

Final question, is there a difference between a 1.7ghz desktop and a
Intel Pentium M 740 1.73 GHz on a laptop, are these laptop processors faster? How would this processor perform with the top games.

Thanks for any helpful replies

No probs,

Yeah, they are expensive your right, as it is the latest technology.

The 5600 I don't know much about, though it is one range below the 6600, and so would run them, but not with advanced settings. It's in the same sort of league as the Geforce 5200, but a bit faster seeing as its built on the same model. So would have Direct X-9 for new games. Though to hold the test of time, and for games that will come out, I wouldn't recommend it.

Yeah the 9000 will be below the 9700 and 9600 and even lower, so this isn't the choice either for new games, as it is in the same league as the Geforce 4 MX series, and so not a Direct X-9 card (to push new shaders for new games) but a Direct 8.1 card, though will run newish games, but at very low settings/resolutions, and so also not recommeded for a laptop user.

The x600 will run new games as it is a Direct X-9 card. I have a radeon 9800 Pro card and it gets okay speeds at high settings at the moment, and this card is past that, and past the X300 that came out after that. It is a model below the X700 which is as good as a Geforce 6600, though I wouldn't know the model the X600 would be to, though shouldn't be too bad :)

The AMD 64 processor is a very good processor for gaming, as any AMD processor is. It'll also future proof you as it has a new technology (64 bit instead of 32 bit which applications use at the moment) so when new applications come out, it'll take full use of them.
Pentium 4 Processors are better for multi-tasking though, especially since they have HT technology (Hyper Threading, higher bandwidth memory) if you are into running loads of software/video apps.
Though Athlon 64 is more future proofed and can be better for games to get minor improvments in frames per second, but isn't worse in any way than a Pentium 4 in terms of quality

A Pentium M is a new processor, and is just a low power version of the Pentium 4 processor and is just used for Laptop users for battery reasons, and so isn't bad, and will run new games as long as you have a good video card to go with it like anything you buy.

Though if you can get one faster than 1.7 then of course you'll get more speed for other tasks you might want to use, and so would feature proof you more

One thing I have to say about Athlons now though:
If it has a model number of 3500+ for example, it means that it is running at 2.2GHZ (They are more efficent that Pentiums, and the GHZ rating is very misleading as it doesn't always mean a better processor), because Athlon has an other way of saying it, and the model number means it'll just be as good as a Pentium 4 3.5GHZ processor and a bit better at some things, even though it is running at 2.2GHZ.
In pentiums though, the old rule applies :)

Because its a laptop and can't be updated very easily. You should seriously think about spending a bit more :) You won't be dissapointed with the results if you do, especially if it lasts a long time, huh?

Kage,

Thanks a bunch dude, you've cleared up a lot of questions i had bout laptops.

Im thinkin about a good Acer i saw;
http://www.acernotebooks.co.uk/Acer_TravelMate_8100_Laptop/prod.asp

Its the Acer travelmate 8101Wlmi, it says it has upgradeable memory which would be very useful in the future.

I also looked at the ABS Mahem G3 at;
http://www.buyabs.com/app/Series.asp?familyno=25&series=76

This looks v nice but i cant work out how much tax will be added on for an international buyer so im not sure on price.

Anyway have a look and see what you think?
Are ABS and ACER both reliable laptops??

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom