Laptop fell down the stairs

movida88

Solid State Member
I have a laptop that took a nasty fall down a set of stairs and refuses to boot up, if i plug in the charger cable the fan turns on for 2 seconds and turns off but continues to charge, the montitor doesn't turn on and no signal is recieved on an external monitor, not even to bios screen. While the charger is in it makes a high pitched noises which in sequence raises the pitch. I opened it up and the only visible damage i could find was this little blue thing at my fingertip in the picture. One if it solder legs has been broken, would a simple solder job remedy the start up??

image-1221278254.jpg

Looks like the cmos battery. If one of the tabs is broke off the bios won't remember the time and date. The rest of the bios settings are on a eeprom and it doesn't forget.
There should be several cards attached to the main board. The ram cards. The wireless card. And on some brands a video card. Make sure everything is seated correctly in its respective slots.
However if the tumble was bad enough the board could be cracked and brother that ain't an easy job to fix. Boards are multi layered. If one or more of the lands has even a hairline break in it the system fails at some point.

I've given the board a proper inspection and it seems fine. I've read in forums before that the sequence of hi pitched noises is the power looping??

The DC jack appears fine, when i remove the heat sink there is a second attempt of the fan but at a much higher RPM?? The noise is actualy coming from the CPU??

Back
Top Bottom