laptop descision

Aianiel

Solid State Member
Hey Everyone,

I am looking to buy a laptop. I used to build my own desktops because I was big into gaming, but I really don't have time for that anymore. My band has pretty much taken over that hobby. I am looking for a laptop that I can basically manage a fairly large music library. (I have around 1,500 songs constantly growing). Do the standard stuff like watch youtube videos, e-mail, word processing, powerpoint, etc. I also need a laptop that can handle some photoshop work, I create the logos and do photo editing for my band as well. I am not concerned with running photoshop at super-fast speeds though, just acceptable speeds.

I want a laptop and not a desktop so I can bring it over to my practice space. I don't want to stay in place with it, I want to be able to work with my band mates as i'm making a logo, otherwise I'd get a desktop.

I heard that you can build a laptop and it is quite a hassle. I was never really a pro at assembling desktops, I just followed instructions and got the parts in. I've only really built one PC. So buying a pre-built laptop seems like my best bet. (Dell,Gateway,HP,etc). I really have no preference of brand, just not Apple please ;).

So yeah, any recommendations would be great!

Thanks guys!

I'm not much of a Dell person, but they're new XPS laptops are pretty awesome. They've got a decent one that's the 15 inch one and you can get one for a great price with a video card, a nice hard drive and other goodies. I'd suggest you check out their website and build your own.

Also, visit Sony and HP's sites and check theirs out too. All of these laptops are great despite what most other people might say. For what you're looking for, there are a ton of laptops that can keep you happy and then some.

Side-note: If your music collection is gonna get HUGE (like mine, over 100gb), then I might recommend considering an external hard drive to connect to the laptop. I don't see you NEEDING one yet, as most laptops should suffice when it comes to storage for you, but keep that in mind.

If you need anything else let us know.

Cheers,

Chris

You're not going to find a decent Sony for under 1400, unless you try to look.

I'd look at the Dell XPS 1530 with a 7200 RPM drive. Seems perfect for what you're trying to do.

You knew what I meant.

He mentioned multi-tasking and a large music library. Most Vaio notebooks under 1400 come with a screen resolution of 1280×800 which isn't suited for multitasking. Plus, he's going to need a large and fast hard drive that's capable of running at 7200 rpm. Try to configure a Vaio under 1400 that has a resolution besides 1280x800, and a hard drive bigger than 120 GB.

Not to mention the amount of bloatware Sony includes in their system.

You knew what I meant.

He mentioned multi-tasking and a large music library. Most Vaio notebooks under 1400 come with a screen resolution of 1280×800 which isn't suited for multitasking. Plus, he's going to need a large and fast hard drive that's capable of running at 7200 rpm. Try to configure a Vaio under 1400 that has a resolution besides 1280x800, and a hard drive bigger than 120 GB.

Not to mention the amount of bloatware Sony includes in their system.

I'm glad you checked out the site. :rolleyes:

FZ Series: Configured with a 200GB 7,200RPM hard drive, a faster processor, 2GB ram, and other goodies, it's at $1429. AND it has the upgraded LCD for HiColor.

The 1280x800 resolution should be no problem for him at ALL unless he specifically states that.

No need to get antsy, but that will perfectly do the job for him. And if you check my first initial post, the XPS was what I initially recommended.

Cheers,

Chris

I'm not getting antsy at all.

1280x800 is a dismal resolution for a 15 inch notebook. That's the standard on almost all 13 inch notebooks. Why have a larger screen when you can't take advantage of it?

Back
Top Bottom