Laptop CPU upgrade?

LOLZpersonok

In Runtime
I have a Toshiba Satellite M50-MX5. It currently has a Pentium M in it. It's single-core and is not hyperthreaded and runs at 1.8GHz. But I want to upgrade it to 2GHz and/or dual core.

Can I do this, and how hard would it be?

The cpu is hard wired in and not upgradeable. The board and bios are made around the cpu chip so even if you could, it would require more than just popping in a new cpu chip.
Laptops these days can be had for relatively small amount of cash. Shop around.

The cpu is hard wired in and not upgradeable. The board and bios are made around the cpu chip so even if you could, it would require more than just popping in a new cpu chip.
Laptops these days can be had for relatively small amount of cash. Shop around.

Often the case, not always.

CPU is often removable, but the board usually only supports what that particular range had been sold with, for example, if another model in that series was sold with a better CPU, then it'll probably fit.

But yeah, realistically, get a new machine :3

Thanks for all of the replies.

I was considering this as an upgrade for the free Toshiba Satellite laptop that I got so it would be a bit faster and I could potentially run better games. I could still deal with what it's got but I'd still like more performance.

Now, I've got a question.

Underneath this laptop (It's a Toshiba Satellite M50-MX5) there is this cover immediately left of the hard drive cover. I took it off to see what was inside and I found what almost could have looked like a CPU but I'm not sure. It had two small wires attached to it almost like speakers would have it. What is this device? I can take a picture if needed.

Here is this little device that I don't know what it is:

(I forgot to mention that it does generate lots of heat after the laptop's been in use for a while, and sorry the picture quality is crap, I used my iPod to take the pictures)

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 6
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 6
Yes, it looks like a wireless adapter to me as well, but cannot be certain, because the photo is so out of focus.

Clear photos are always appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom