Laptop Buying advice

WRXHokie

Beta member
Hey all,
I'm looking at purchasing a new laptop, but i'm undecided on what i should get. What i'm looking at doing with it is just normal word processing, email, web, and some gaming.

I've been back and forth on what i should get... are the Centrino's good for gaming? I've been contemplating getting a Apple Powerbook, but i'm unsure if thats the right move. I know you can do more with a PC, but a mac would be something new. Anyone have an experience with this type of decision? I could use the advice.

Also, portability is very important to me but i would also like at least a 15" screen.

Thanks

Look at the specs in my sig. That laptop cost £1000 and plays games like a charm.

The Centrino, in my experience, is absolutely fine for gaming.

Cool... where did you buy? What brand?

One of the things i forgot to mention in my first post is that having something portable is very important to me, as i travel a good amount for work. This is why i am considering a powerbook.

It's a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo M3438G, got it from http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/

Ah, you said you wanted portability. The thing isn't heavy as such, it's just got bad battery life, especially if you're on wireless or gaming... That could count against it, but as a desktop replacement it's pretty damned good.

It also has a 17" widescreen, which makes it a little bigger than what you would normally expect, but it's nice indeed.

I'd recommend going for a Turion 64, as they're cheaper and beat Pentium M marginally in most tasks. They also hold up well in battery life, especially the MT line, but they're hard to find, sadly.

Since portability is important to you, I reccommend you try get a 9 or 12-cell battery, to extend its life.

Back
Top Bottom