Laptop blinking light

kelly11

Baseband Member
My Asus X551M laptop is now 4 years old and I've just noticed the orange light which is usually solid is now blinking, it resides next to the green power light on the front edge of the keyboard, I'm wondering is it time for a new battery or could this be a problem with the plug in charger ? thank you in advance.

According to the manual for your laptop I found on-line, that indicator blinking orange meas that the laptop is running on battery and the battery has less than 10% power left. That means that the power adapter is not powering the laptop and not charging the battery.

This could mean the cable that connects to the power adapter is not fully inserted, or the cable is bad, or the plug isn't fully inserted into the laptop. The plug or the jack could be faulty or the adapter itself has failed.

Check to make sure the cable and plug are secure (also make sure the electrical outlet you are plugged into has power). If nothing is lose or frayed then you can try another power adapter. When looking for a replacement power adapter, make sure you match the voltage EXACTLY. The current rating must be the same or HIGHER. Lastly, make sure the plug is correct with the proper polarity.

It is also possible that the internal circuitry on the motherboard has failed which would mean you would need to take it to a shop to have the motherboard repaired or replaced.

Thank you strollin, would you be able to post where you found the information on the power adapter ? I found an online manual from Asus but couldn't find anything about the battery. my power adapter has been checked it's putting out 19.15 volts.

I've just run the laptop unplugged on battery power only until it shut down, I let it charge up for 5 hours, turned it back on again but no change as far as the blinking orange light, this is what the battery is reading now. also the AC charger is putting out 19.15 volts.

Attachments

• Battery1h1.jpg
    Battery1h1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 4
I just encountered the same thing on my work laptop last month. The IT person simply replaced my laptop with a new one.

Here's a link of things to try in order to try to get it working again: https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/asus-laptop-plugged-in-not-charging-solved/

If none of that helps, you may need to take your laptop in and have a tech check it out. It may simply require a new battery, I see them available on-line for approximately $20.

Thank you strollin, I'm happy to say the link your link provided the fix, I used the "Hold Power Button for 60 seconds" technique and it worked perfectly, orange light remains on, battery is charging again.

Back
Top Bottom