laptop battery light is blinking red...

Movieguy

Baseband Member
I have a gateway NV78 laptop with Windows 10. Just today, I've noticed that whenever my AC adapter is connected to the laptop, the battery charge light suddenly starts flashing red when it's at full charge.

I just bought a new battery for it a few months ago. It seems to hold its charge pretty well when it's not connected to the adapter. It's only when I reconnect it that this happens. The light will go solid red, then have a solid blue for a few minutes at full charge, before it suddenly starts flashing red again.

I've tried the trick where you shut the laptop off, take out the battery, and hold down the power button for 20-30 seconds, but even that doesn't seem to help. Can anyone help me with this?

I don't know where the manual is, frankly. But, I have been using the same charger for this laptop ever since I got it, years ago. I've ordered a new one from Amazon, so I'll see how that goes.

OK, so I got a new brick for this laptop, and it definitely charged a lot faster than with the old one...but, it still gives me a flashing red light when it reaches full charge after a few minutes. I'm not noticing anything off about the laptop itself when I use it, even when I disconnect it from the brick.

The odd thing is, it's not happening consistently. Just last night, it spent hours connected to the old brick, and the light wasn't flashing at all. When it did, it seemed to happen totally at random.

OK, so I got a new brick for this laptop, and it definitely charged a lot faster than with the old one...but, it still gives me a flashing red light when it reaches full charge after a few minutes. I'm not noticing anything off about the laptop itself when I use it, even when I disconnect it from the brick.

The odd thing is, it's not happening consistently. Just last night, it spent hours connected to the old brick, and the light wasn't flashing at all. When it did, it seemed to happen totally at random.
From what I've read it's like POST beeps. Does the computer work ok?

Yeah, the computer works just fine, and the battery seems to be charging well and holding the charge at its normal rate.

Yeah, the computer works just fine, and the battery seems to be charging well and holding the charge at its normal rate.
And do you notice a pattern on this blinking? Or is it just all the time?
By the way, it didn't do this before, right?

It's just a constant 1-second interval flash, which happens once the battery reaches full charge.

Correct, it used to just show a solid blue light when it reached full charge, and stay that way all the time.

Back
Top Bottom