Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-09-2011, 04:34 AM   #1
Beta Member
Default Which Laptop - Advice

Dear All, I am looking to replace my Dell inspiron 6400 which has served me well for 7 years but is now playing up usual things. I have been considering the Dell studio XPS 13" or 16" but have also noticed other makes such as Lenovo T410. The spec i would like is 4Gb Ram or more around a 320Gb hard drive or more and whatever is thrown in. The laptops i have seen are around 500 i dont play games but use the internet and use for documents. I would like a fairly good spec this time. Any suggestions? I guess at the end of the day it all up to personal preference. But your observations would be appreciated.

huggybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
Fully Optimized
Send a message via MSN to ssc456
Default Re: Which Laptop - Advice

I can't point you in any specific locations are the moment as i;m at work and all my usual trusty websites are blocked!

I reccomend looking on Ebuyer.com and Aria.net ( i think it's .net?)

I absolutely love Asus laptops and Samsung are ratgher good as well.

Off the top of my head, for the spec and price you have outlined have a look for the Samsung R510, there are various versions of this with different RAM and processors but it's a good place to start.

He who has never failed has never attempted anything worth succeeding at.

Dont Eat Animals, Its Not Good For Them And They Dont Like It!
ssc456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:03 AM   #3
Solid State Member

HP laptops are the best laptop
SofiaBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:15 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

Well if you don't game, then looking for an intel laptop with intel HD graphics is going to cut a chunk out of the price, compared to AMD/Intel lappies with NVIDIA or AMD graphics.

320GB drives usually show up around 300GB anyway, so anything between 250GB-320GB of rated space would only vary by 40-50GB or so. We've charged alot for some absolute shit-boxed in the past, so definately shop around for the best deal. I mean, we had an Asus lappy with a 1.2GHz Celeron go for near 400, but we had to make a profit on it, never buying Asus again unless it's a much higher spec.

Samsung are beast at the moment, IMHO offering the best value. For components, i usually recommend SCAN.co.uk since i've never had a bad experience, but for bundles and laptops. ebuyer is definately better.

This is probably the best one i can recommend : Samsung RV511 Laptop - Laptops | Ebuyer.com

the i3 is a decent mobile processor, it has a decent sized drive and a powerful enough GPU for Aero. Plus the RAM you wanted. And the best thing is, it looks the t!ts xP

If i was getting a Wintop i'd get a Samsung.
EVGA SLI Micro Z68 // Intel i5-2500k // 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz // Overclocked 2GB MSI R9 270X // Corsair Carbide SPEC-03 // Kingston Hyper-X 120GB // 2TB WD Green + 500GB WD Black
~Darkseeker~ is offline   Reply With Quote