Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-21-2015, 04:32 PM   #1
NWR
Solid State Member

Default Laptop

Evening all,

I've had many different laptops, Sony Vaio's HP's, Samsung's, etc. but my current laptop is an Apple Macbook Pro i7.

The Macbook Pro (running Windows 7) has been the best laptop I've ever had build quality wise but unfortunately after 3 years it's time for an upgrade.

I've looked on the Apple website and the latest Macbook Pro doesn't support Windows 7 :-( so I'm a bit gutted.

What is the best laptop you've ever had?

NWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:13 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Laptop

I don't believe in laptops

(but I have an i5 macbook pro from 2012 for when I have to work on the road)

Old 08-21-2015, 08:43 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for, but I recently did some research on budget ultrabooks, and I found great reviews on the Lenovo U430P. I bought one for my Mom and she loves it. Solid aluminum build quality, ultra thin, and the touch screen is nice. I'm sure you can get them in higher specs than I did.

I'm also a fan of the acer ultrabooks and I recommend those to folks now and then.
crazyman143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:53 PM   #4
In Runtime

I have a 4 year old dell laptop with a dual core 2nd or 3rd gen i3. I doubled its ram from 4 to 8gb and added an ssd. Runs super fast and works beautifully.
jarlmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:19 AM   #5
Golden Master

The latest Macbook should be able to run Windows 7 in using bootcamp..

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

I was wrong Apple Stops Supporting Windows 7 in Boot Camp on New MacBook Pro, MacBook Air Models - Mac Rumors
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:42 AM   #6
Golden Master

Is running Windows 7 in a virtual machine an option?
Old 08-22-2015, 10:04 AM   #7
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWR View Post
... The Macbook Pro (running Windows 7) has been the best laptop I've ever had build quality wise but unfortunately after 3 years it's time for an upgrade.

I've looked on the Apple website and the latest Macbook Pro doesn't support Windows 7 :-( so I'm a bit gutted.

What is the best laptop you've ever had?
If that Macbook Pro is such a great laptop, why do you need to upgrade after only 3 years? I usually keep my laptops 7-8 years and only replace them because I want something faster, not because they had problems.

What is the best laptop I've ever owned? All of them. I've owned laptops from Fujitsu, Acer, Dell, Toshiba, Compaq and IBM. They've all been fine and were used 7 or more years before I replaced them. All were in working condition and were then sold or handed down to someone else to use.

My current laptop is a Toshiba Satellite S55 with i7 cpu and 12GB of RAM. It's clearly the "best" I've owned in regards to power and it does everything I need it to do. I switched out the 1TB hdd it came with for a 500GB Samsung ssd which added some additional performance.

The Toshiba came with Win 8.1 and I don't have any issues with that OS. With 12GB of RAM I can easily run other OSes in VMs. I have VMs of Win 7, Win 10, XP, Vista and others.

You haven't really stated what you're looking for in a laptop other than you want to run Win 7. Is portability most important to you? Power? Battery life? Gaming? I don't think anybody could really suggest a laptop for you until you state what's important to you and what you plan to do with it.
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:28 PM   #8
Wizard of Wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Darkseeker~ View Post
I don't believe in laptops

(but I have an i5 macbook pro from 2012 for when I have to work on the road)
I move around so much that having a laptop that runs the same software my desktop rig runs is a must. My desktop weighs in at 40 pounds where as my laptop is 8 pounds.
My HP G7 is a lot of bang for the buck. Comes out of the box in several versions. I have the i3, 6gigs of ram, and a 640gig hard drive. HDMI graphics too boot. Under 600 bucks.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:39 PM   #9
BSOD

Hi I have Toshiba lap top! Satellite L775D-S7222. That's all this old country boy needs in my small retirement cottage. LOL
donetao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:50 PM   #10
Golden Master

I got my current HP DV6 laptop i5, 8GB ram and 500GB HDD. for only $275AU off eBay second hand, Has the right hinge cover missing but other than that she's in good nick. If you are looking to play games then something Windows based but if your edit videos and photos Mac's are the way to go..