Which laptop?

foothead

Omnicide now.
I'm finally going to buy a laptop for my mod project, but I'm a bit indecisive on which to get. It'll be used mainly for flight sims (X Plane mostly) but I will probably do some gaming on it.

My choices are an ASUS G51VX-RX05 on eBay for ~$250-300, or a HP DV7 2270us that someone offered me on overclock.net for $250.

The G51VX-RX05's specs are:

C2D P7350 @2.0 GHz
4GB RAM
300 GB HDD
GTX 260M 1GB DDR3

The DV7 has:

C2Q Q9000 @2.0 GHz
4GB RAM
500 GB HDD
Mobility HD 4650 1GB DDR3

I know that both are very capable machines and should do what I require no problem, but I'm still indecisive. What do you think?

tough choice, both are quite similar, although I hear Asus have terrible customer service (from a couple of people I know), but that shouldnt be a problem if you plan to fix any issues your own in the future - which im pretty sure u will, unless it has warranty

I'd personally go for the Asus because its Nvidia, but is the gtx260m on par with 4650, if they are then its just down to personal preference in make and hdd space

I'd say go for the Asus only because I've had bad experiences with HP laptops. Of course I've never had any experiences with Asus laptops, just their motherboards (all good experiences so far).

I'd personally go for the Asus because its Nvidia, but is the gtx260m on par with 4650, if they are then its just down to personal preference in make and hdd space

The GTX 260M is better than the 4650. The thing is that the HP has double the processing power, and X-plane is pretty CPU dependent.

Both laptops are crushed, so warranty, customer service, etc. are irrelevant.

Hp if you can get a good price

a HP DV7 2270us that someone offered me on overclock.net for $250.

^

I bought the HP. Should be shipping out tonight. I'm excited.

The deciding factor was really that the HP had W7 64 on it, while the ASUS had a formatted drive and no COA. I'm probably going to run linux on it, but that W7 copy will probably go in my secondary rig whenever I finish building it.

Back
Top Bottom