Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-23-2007, 07:58 PM   #11
In Runtime

Default Re: A Laptop

HP has quality laptops.............

Just bought a dv6000............reasonably priced and very nice!

Old 05-23-2007, 08:01 PM   #12
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to Webhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Fenner View Post
HP has quality laptops.............

Just bought a dv6000............reasonably priced and very nice!
Similar to mine then!

New PC Specs: Intel Core 2 Qaud Q9950 1.83GHZ (Overclocked to 3GHZ), 4GB RAM PC-6400, Samsung F1 1000GB Hard Drive, Asus P5Q Pro Motherboard, Antec Freezer 7 Pro, Antec Three Hundred PC Case, Lite-ON DVD RW. Laptop Specs: Model HP Pavilion DV6174ea, Intel Core 2 Duo 5500 (1.66ghz), 2gb ram, Nvidia Geforce 7400 Go 256mb (128 dedicated, 128 turbocache), Wifi, DVD RW with lightscribe technology, and has a remote control as well!
Webhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:15 PM   #13
Fully Optimized

Personally I'd recommend HP or Acer. Both make great products for decent prices. Tigerdirect.com has some good deals on acer laptops, sometimes they even have specials on them. Another good brand that comes to mind is lenovo. Lenovo (formerly known as IBM) makes pretty good notebooks, they cost a bit more and they're geared more towards business use but they're pretty reliable notebooks from what I've seen.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:29 PM   #14
Daemon Poster

Well, she wants to stick around six or seven hundred dollars..

It's a college student that plays no games... That means microsoft stuff and email. She will be going into education so it will probably STONGLY used in microsoft products but that's about it.
Captain Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:41 PM   #15
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to Juice Send a message via MSN to Juice

Worstbuy! Go to tigerdirect.com and look there, they have reasonable pricing. although 600 isnt bad for this computer. just a year ago i paid the same price for the same notebook cut in half spec wise.
Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:41 PM   #16
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Pooka View Post
Well, she wants to stick around six or seven hundred dollars..

It's a college student that plays no games... That means microsoft stuff and email. She will be going into education so it will probably STONGLY used in microsoft products but that's about it.
Here are the acer notebooks from tigerdirect.com: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...Id=12&CatId=17
you can sort them by price from lowest to highest if you want. Some have XP instead of vista because they aren't newer models but some do have vista so you have the option to get it or not.

Here are some lenovo notebooks just at the 6-700 dollar range. I don't know much about the 3000 series of notebooks, but I do know the thinkpads are good (also cost a bit more too). http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...DF1011B7015A00

Here are some HP notebooks: http://www.shopping.hp.com/notebooks.../psg/notebooks

Personally I think acer and HP are the best values. If you're on the go a lot or are using the laptop strictly for business and need some of the features that lenovo notebooks have (such as one touch recovery and fingerprint scanners) then I don't think you need one. I've heard great things about HP and acer notebooks and I'd say they're the two best brands when it comes to laptops. The only downside is that HP and acer notebooks (especially HP) will tend to come with unneeded software but that can be removed. As far as IBM and bloatware go, I'm not sure on that but I imagine it's not as bad as HP since they're business machines.

Hope that helps!