Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-26-2006, 07:33 PM   #11
Baseband Member

Default Re: Laptop

If you have a router with a good firewall dont bother with Zonealarms! it causes more problems than it fixes!

Old 10-27-2006, 11:13 AM   #12
Daemon Poster

alright, I got the laptop... I was on it till 1 last night (im at school right now)
It takes it about 20 - 30 mins from when I press the botton - to when I get a desktop.
its a dell, like I said above. 25GB hard drive lol 256mb ram 1.4 ghz processor.
My teacher said she may need another hard drive, the dump could be caused by hard drive failure.
The first thing I did was run msconfig. After that I restarted and in about 20 mins after I had a desk top.. the BSOD came up with an error... and it the bottom it said dumping physical memory.
I restarted computer, (I made a guide based on ALL the things that make your computer faster) I followed my guide, did bootvis and all that other junk. I must say it did cut the boot time, and everything starts a little faster, but its still rEALLY slow. And the laptop stayed on for about an hour this time, and it was already 1 oclock... maby the physical mem. thing is fixed? I turned off and went to bed. Ill find out when I get home.
I put ccleaner and ran it, When I get home I will do spybot s/d. hopefully that will help. Then I will do that troublehooting thingy... if all else fails Ill tell her just buy a new hard drive I guess.. they arnt that expensive, at least not as much a GeekSquad!

Captain Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:33 AM   #13
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

OK find out what brand HDD it has, then goto HDD manufacturers website, and download their diagnostic tools. Then test the HDD and see if it passes.
Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:34 AM   #14
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

Also next time ya get an error, write the whole error down and post it for us to see.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:38 AM   #15
Daemon Poster

Ill do that.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:01 PM   #16
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to mongoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrybo
If you have a router with a good firewall dont bother with Zonealarms! it causes more problems than it fixes!
i dont think so buddy i had it on my comp for 4 years both avast and zone alarm it is a firewall and i have had no probs since i got rid of nortons
Old 10-27-2006, 05:30 PM   #17
Daemon Poster

Alright, I think I MAY have found the problem...
I open the back to check the ram.. there is none. Is that possible? I thought I computer had to have ram...well, I guess I have never Really thought about it... Im going to go turn it on to see if the computer says it has any.. Is there another spot where there could be RAM?

I know its the RAM slot thats empty because my computer teacher showed me on a school laptop AND when I opened this one is says DDR1 Only lol... so dont think I looked in the wrong spot!

hmm

thanks
-Q
Old 10-27-2006, 05:32 PM   #18
Fully Optimized

Send a message via ICQ to ^Mike^ Send a message via AIM to ^Mike^ Send a message via MSN to ^Mike^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^Mike^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Pooka
Alright, I think I MAY have found the problem...
I open the back to check the ram.. there is none. Is that possible? I thought I computer had to have ram...well, I guess I have never Really thought about it... Im going to go turn it on to see if the computer says it has any.. Is there another spot where there could be RAM?

I know its the RAM slot thats empty because my computer teacher showed me on a school laptop AND when I opened this one is says DDR1 Only lol... so dont think I looked in the wrong spot!

hmm

thanks
-Q
i don't think a computer can even turn on without ram, anyone correct me if i'm wrong.
^Mike^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:33 PM   #19
Golden Master

Some boards have an option to add extra RAM, ya computer needs RAM to work so there must be some more elsewhere on the board. If its like my laptop then there will be a RAM module underneath the keyboard, and another one on bottom of laptop
Old 10-27-2006, 05:43 PM   #20
Daemon Poster

hmm, then it must be underneath the keyboard. Because there isn't any on the bottom! lol.

ok, well, Im the Drummajor and I have a game tonight, so Ill be doing the trouble shooting tonight at about 10.

thanks
-q