Lapped Pentium D now Overheats, Explain?

aPanzerIV

Daemon Poster
I got bored one day, and after watching some youtube videos, decided to try and lapp my Pentium D 820, which is practically worthless. I used 120 grain fof about 30 minutes, all the high edges were gone, so then I went to 400 for about another 45 minutes. It looked pretty shiny, but was reI went out and bought some 1200 mirror stuff. It now looks like a slightly scratched copper mirror after about 15 minutes of usage. So I decided to put it in my G41 and use it. It started out low (25C), but didn't stay that way, half way through windows installation, it locked up, I rebooted it to find the temperature was 70C. Before lapping, it maxed at 64C in the same system. I'm assuming my chances of fixing it are long past, but I'm wondering how this happened.

Shave off highpoints = better contact = higher temperature?

How does it work?

System Specs:

Biostar G41-M7

Team 2gb DDR2 800 CAS 5

G41 Integrated

Xigmatech 92mm Aluninum ball bearing cooler

No Case

Barracuda 7200.9 160Gb(yah I do have alot of those)

You didn't lap the heatsink. You have to do both surfaces if you want to make the contact as seamless as possible. Also, you should stop sanding it once you reach a shiny surface. Going further will only introduce micrograin cracks and fissures in the otherwise pristine surface from what I've experienced.

Back
Top Bottom