LAN gaming.

99nasha

Fully Optimized
How do you do this? I want to thrash my brother at PC games and I have no idea how you link the computers up.

I'm not sure either to tell the truth. If it wasn't internet gaming, I'd suggest both PC's to have a ethernet card, and to plug them both up togther that way, and set up a network to them. Maybe that would work?

I think real LAN servers though like a lan party would user a router of some kind so it'd link to the internet for other people to join too, as well as linking the PC's there, with one PC acting as a server.

I hope this helps :)

So its not as simple as running a LAN cable from one another? You have to buy specific stuff

Hmm...sorry, a LAN cable would probably work, I didn't think about that :) One would act as a server and be able to link the other PC up in a game.

Sorry about that :p

Okay, I hope it works. I wouldn't expect anything else to be needed to link them, as long as both are active and know about each others whereabouts.

um this is how it works, i dont know if you guys do LAN parties often or not but I do...
if you only want two computers connected together, you will need an ethernet cable, but there are two different types of Ethernet cables, Straight through, and Crossover. If your just gonna hook two PC's Xboxes, or PS2's together, then you will need one crossover ethernet cord to go from one to the other.

If you want multiple PC's, you will need a router(s) and or a Hub(s) depending on how many PC's/ Xboxes you have. (router=4 ports=4PC's)
and for each computer you have, you will need a straight through Ethernet cord for each thing you have connected on your LAN. Now if your doing xboxes, then your set to go, just turn them on and set up your game. but if your using PCs then you will need one of the computers on the LAN to be running a server (dedicated or Listen) I'd recomend designating one computer as a dedicated server, because you will probably get a lot less lagg. (dedicated server= a comp designated to serve the multiplayer game files= no one playing the game on it)
(listen server= still hosts the game like a dedicated server, but allows someone to play on that computer with the server too = increased chance of lagg)

Now if you have more comps than the number of ports on your router/hub , then you will have to connect two hubs/routers together. this can be done by plugging a crossover ethernet cable into one of the output ports on your first router, and the other end into the intput (WAN Port) Port on the second router. this will allow the comps on the new router to acces the game on he origipnal one. this process can be repeated for as many routers as needed. :D

Yep, ACES WILD obviously knows his stuff about that. I'm sorry 99Nasha about my advise, though I didn't think it was complicated to do.

Back
Top Bottom