Lacie / WD, FAT32 Reliability

soacst

Solid State Member
I am planning on buying a 1-2 TB external hard drive, in order to back-up my current data, and in a few months, a new computer of 1-2TB HD (probably 2TB). Reliability & stability, of course, is of utmost importance (warranty & replacement don't help).

I need to be able to use it on PC and Mac. Therefore, I need USB2 + both Firewire and eSATA. I might use FAT32 format - is it stable? Or use software, on the PC (probably) or Mac, to read the disk.

I am considering WD Home Edition (recommended by WD for my purpose), which comes as FAT32; USB2, Firewire400 only, eSATA (no cable, argument that eSATA doesn't work). I don't know if it's possible to get 2TB

or Lacie D2 Quadra, which has all the connections (and all the cables), including Firewire 800 (that the WD does not).

WD is a good make, but someone who recommended WD, did not recommend the Home Edition (it's and older model, but WD claims that it is of identical technology to the current ones).

It would be advisable to have a 2nd BU HD, in order not to loose my precious data in case that this one fails (it sure will at some point). I can't buy now two of 2TB. If I buy two disks of 1TB, they will not be enough for the 2TB computer. Does it make sense?

- WD Home Edition or Lacie (similar price)?
- Is Fat32 stable?
- one 1TB HD or two 1TB?

Thanks.
The most urgent matter right now is to get a disk ASAP
so that I'll data to store! I am lost; please advise.

LACIE OR WD HOME?
1 of 2TB or 2 of 1TB?

I considered FAT32 because this is the only format which can go between the PC & Mac, back & forth. You are right, speed is an important consideration (that's why I'm paying for eSATA & Firewire).

How much slower?

Is FAT32 reliable?

Won't using software to read the disk slow me down?

I appreciate your help

Why not get an internal 1tb drive for each computer, and set it up in raid so that it makes a mirror of the primary HDD?

Hi Guys!
Someone must have some knowledge, experience, opinion...
about these two disks models:
WD Home Edition and Lacie D2 Quadra!

Please, please share!
greatly appreciated

I'd rather opt for WD Home Edition, as their drives are tougher...but it doesn't mean that Lacie is junk, but in my personal opinion, I'd recommend you WD.

1x2TB isn't a great choice. If you have the drive failing on you...goodbye data! I'd rather put 2x1TB, for redundancy, but also to put the most important stuff on one, and you could back that up on DVDs and such.

Oh and...NTFS or FAT32...go with NTFS. FAT32 supports no bigger than 1TB, and you will need 3rd party software to accomplish it. Not only that, but if your file is larger than 4GB...you're screwed...it won't transfer.

NTFS...you can transfer pretty much all you want and is supported on Mac and Windows.

HI GipsonSGKing,
I am not sure that I understand what did you mean - which computers?
I am not interested in investing in my old computer (now the only one)
(XP, 80GB, 1/2-->2GB memory).
However, It is extremely important to back up the data on it.

I will only have a new one (hopefully) in a few months; I would like it to have at least 1TB HD, probably 2TB. also I will need to be able to back up the data from that computer. And, I need the ability to go back-and-forth between the PC and the Mac (not mine, I won't be able to install anything on/in it).

I believe that it is advisable to have two backup in case that one back-up drive fails. That's the reason that I asked whether MIRRORING on one disk is safe or if it goes, the whole disk goes?

I never did mirroring; this is the reason that asked about it.
Thanks a lot

Back
Top Bottom