Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-07-2007, 12:26 AM   #11
Daemon Poster
 
NEED WOW NOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,315
Send a message via AIM to NEED WOW NOW
Default Re: L1 and L2 Cache Questions?

ummmm does that make sense?

Do u mean the AMDs Dual Core CPUs run a little cooler but compared to wat the C2D
__________________

__________________
AMD is Happy!
Intel is Pissed!
Europe is $1.45 Billion Dollar's Richer!
NEED WOW NOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:29 PM   #12
Golden Master
 
freestyler105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,883
Default Re: L1 and L2 Cache Questions?

Core 2 Duos are some of the coolest running CPUs.
AMD's Athlons/Opterons are probably next.
Then the Pentium 4s, which run relatively hot.
__________________

__________________
C2D E6600 | 4GB DDR2-800 | 9800GTX+ | Asus P5B-E | 150GB Raptor | 320GB 7200.10 | 750W Xigmatek PSU
freestyler105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:59 PM   #13
muz
Golden Master
 
muz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,928
Default Re: L1 and L2 Cache Questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyler105 View Post
Core 2 Duos are some of the coolest running CPUs.
AMD's Athlons/Opterons are probably next.
Then the Pentium 4s, which run relatively hot.
I would say the prescot p4's run hot but the northwods , older types run super cool
__________________
Desktop-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+-2GB Elixer DDR2 800 250gb+500gb+500gb+120gb
Laptop-Apple Macbook Pro 13" Intel core i5(2.3ghz) 4gb Ram 320gb hard drive
muz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:24 PM   #14
Fully Optimized
 
spywarebanisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,135
Default Re: L1 and L2 Cache Questions?

the p4 hyper threading temps are crazy.
spywarebanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:27 PM   #15
muz
Golden Master
 
muz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,928
Default Re: L1 and L2 Cache Questions?

yeah i believe so . but it depends on what core it is seeing as prescot runs a lot lot hotter then northwood . i have a cooler designed for prescot on my northwod core and it keeps it uber chilled although i dont have a ht edition
__________________
Desktop-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+-2GB Elixer DDR2 800 250gb+500gb+500gb+120gb
Laptop-Apple Macbook Pro 13" Intel core i5(2.3ghz) 4gb Ram 320gb hard drive
muz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:53 PM   #16
Fully Optimized
 
ownage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,404
Default Re: L1 and L2 Cache Questions?

You can't think of a processor as heat alone. You need to see how much work it can do relative to the power that it consumes. Thus you have performance to watt ratio. And Core 2 Duos by far have the best performance to watt ratio right now. Athlon 64 X2s are up next.
ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:08 PM   #17
Golden Master
 
alvino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 19,967
Send a message via AIM to alvino
Default Re: L1 and L2 Cache Questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownage View Post
You can't think of a processor as heat alone. You need to see how much work it can do relative to the power that it consumes. Thus you have performance to watt ratio. And Core 2 Duos by far have the best performance to watt ratio right now. Athlon 64 X2s are up next.
Agreed.

QFT.
alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:47 PM   #18
Fully Optimized
 
dude_56013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,262
Default Re: L1 and L2 Cache Questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownage View Post
You can't think of a processor as heat alone. You need to see how much work it can do relative to the power that it consumes. Thus you have performance to watt ratio. And Core 2 Duos by far have the best performance to watt ratio right now. Athlon 64 X2s are up next.
I have heard this as well...but...now I NEED HELP!! lol ...im picking a cpu out for a friend and the max hes spending is 185 on a cpu...so tell me...what is better...

1) High Performance, low power consumption, cool-running Intel c2d 6420 @ 2.13ghz but for a massive price tag of $186


2) A Great performance, high power consumption, hotter-running AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ or 6000+

Help me decide!! I was in the bleepingcomputer forum and i've been hearing good things about amd, but i knew that there was great stuff about intel as well, and i found that here, so i wanna know what you all think!!!
__________________
Intel Core i7-2600K @ 3.4GHz || GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 || Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600 || EVGA GeForce GTX 480 || Samsung EVO 256GB SSD
my feet get cold and that gives me diarrhea sometimes - Smart_Guy
dude_56013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:53 PM   #19
Golden Master
 
freestyler105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,883
Default Re: L1 and L2 Cache Questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_56013 View Post
I have heard this as well...but...now I NEED HELP!! lol ...im picking a cpu out for a friend and the max hes spending is 185 on a cpu...so tell me...what is better...

1) High Performance, low power consumption, cool-running Intel c2d 6420 @ 2.13ghz but for a massive price tag of $186


2) A Great performance, high power consumption, hotter-running AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ or 6000+

Help me decide!! I was in the bleepingcomputer forum and i've been hearing good things about amd, but i knew that there was great stuff about intel as well, and i found that here, so i wanna know what you all think!!!
You should've started your own thread...but the 6000+ is probably a little better. If he's going to overclock though, get the Core 2 Duo.
__________________

__________________
C2D E6600 | 4GB DDR2-800 | 9800GTX+ | Asus P5B-E | 150GB Raptor | 320GB 7200.10 | 750W Xigmatek PSU
freestyler105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0