L1 and L2 Cache Questions?

NEED WOW NOW

Daemon Poster
Well everyone knows that Intel has a big L2 cache but i noticed that it also has a small L1 cache. I noticed that AMD CPUs have a Large to medium size L2 cache and a medium size L1 cache.

My questions is: What is better to have more of and wat do both do?

This might b a stupid question but it has me confused.
I also went on Google on Wikipedia (i no the sources are not very reliable)
and i found this;
Quote"The advantage of exclusive caches is that they store more data. This advantage is larger when the exclusive L1 cache is comparable to the L2 cache, and diminishes if the L2 cache is many times larger than the L2 cache. When the L1 misses and the L2 hits on an access, the hitting cache line in the L2 is exchanged with a line in the L1. This exchange is quite a bit more work than just copying a line from L2 to L1, which is what an inclusive cache does.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_cache
The parts i underlined dont make sense at all and i wanted to ask u guys.
This has been puzzling me for a bit and if the underlined part means that if the L2 Cache is many times larger than the L1 cache then dose that mean that AMD is the smarter CPU company ???:confused: :confused:

Tbh cpu cache only helps in certain processing tasks
but if you read that corectly then it would suggest amd would bebetter but there are other factors to think about in a cpu that are more important , such as bus speeds , core speeds and pipelines and microarctiecture and intel rule in most of them things which is why they are better performers but not by much but i dont wanna brong up another AMD,VS intel argument

well sort of means amd is smarter. here is how caching works. when lets say a thread needs a file it will first send a request to the L1 Cache. if its there then its called a hit and the file is sent back to the CPU. if it isnt there then it is called a miss. this process will repeat until it finds the data from the L2 to the RAM to the HDD's then to removable storage. lets say it has to go all the way to a CD(removable storage) to get the file. it will store a copy of this on the HDD, RAM, L2, and L1 cache. if it finds it in the RAM then it will only be copied into the L1 and L2 cache. when there isnt enough room in the lets say L2 cache for the file it will delete files oldest to new to get it in there.

when playing games caching works differently. the CPU is told from the program to put these files from the HDD to the RAM. so that the game dosent have to go to the really slow HDD for data the first time. this is what is happening during the loading screen.

another thing to caching is the speed at which the different storage methods run at.
L1 is the fastest but smallest
L2 is slower but bigger
RAM is much bigger but a lot slower
HDD are HUGE but VERY slow
removable storage is even slower but in many cases smaller.

really hope this helped.

well sort of means amd is smarter. here is how caching works. when lets say a thread needs a file it will first send a request to the L1 Cache. if its there then its called a hit and the file is sent back to the CPU. if it isnt there then it is called a miss. this process will repeat until it finds the data from the L2 to the RAM to the HDD's then to removable storage. lets say it has to go all the way to a CD(removable storage) to get the file. it will store a copy of this on the HDD, RAM, L2, and L1 cache. if it finds it in the RAM then it will only be copied into the L1 and L2 cache. when there isnt enough room in the lets say L2 cache for the file it will delete files oldest to new to get it in there.

when playing games caching works differently. the CPU is told from the program to put these files from the HDD to the RAM. so that the game dosent have to go to the really slow HDD for data the first time. this is what is happening during the loading screen.

another thing to caching is the speed at which the different storage methods run at.
L1 is the fastest but smallest
L2 is slower but bigger
RAM is much bigger but a lot slower
HDD are HUGE but VERY slow
removable storage is even slower but in many cases smaller.

really hope this helped.
Yeah that explains pretty well , i wouldhave typed something like tht but it i s 2 am here :eek:

Thanks a bunch and now i am wondering wat the nm stands for in CPUs. I no it stands for a nanometer but in CPUs what dose it mean performance wise?

And only 9:11 here :D

wellthe less the nm the faster the cpu can go and the cooler it stays and the less power it uses

hmmmm................ CRAP I HATE THIS AMD VS. INTEL
y does AMD have to have all or mostly all 90nm CPUs and that Intel has more 65nm CPUs. Theres TOO many things that are bad about AMD and Intel and TOOO many good things about AMD and Intel it hurt my brain :confused: :confused:

well i like AMD cuz that have cheap CPUs but then i like Intel cuz they run cooler. But then i like AMD cuz thay have a bigger L1 cache but then i like the Intel but its all tooooo.... and i just gave this sheet to a friend with a list of items i want so he can see if he can better deals sooo i dont no and thats a AMD set up but......... i dont really no i can spend uo to about $155 on the CPU and about $189 on the Mobo the CPU i chose is fast on stable clocks which i like cuz i dont really want to OC.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103771
I dont no y cant all these big companies just come together and make the Best CPU u can ever make. But then wit out competition it would b really expensive

Also i like ASUS mobo manly cuz there very reliable

Not entirely true. It just depends what processor you are getting. If it is a C2D then it will run cooler than an AMD. Besides C2D's, AMD's usually run a little cooler.

Back
Top Bottom