Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-15-2005, 10:19 AM   #1
Default keyboard prob

hey, a bit of a prob here. i used to have a keyboard that connected 2 my pc via PS/2. the keyboard worked for a long time, but 1 day just stopped working. i made sure all the pins were straight and stuff, but no go. so i hooked an old keyboard that i had lying around. that worked 4 about 3 weeks, but today the same thing happened. could this be the connection on my mobo thats messed up?

plz help, as i am using an on screen keyboard right now, and its slow and a pain!!

stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 12:15 PM   #2
Daemon Poster
Default Re: keyboard prob

It wouldn't be the connection on your mobo but it could be a conflict with your hardware. Did you check in your hardware properties if there is a conflict ( yellow exclamation mark). Do you have a pile of USB devices hook-up to your PC. Disconnect them, reboot and see if your keyboard comes back. Your problem seems like if your USB port is triggering off on the same IRQ!

Asus P4P800 SE
Intel P4 3.2 Gig 1024 Meg PC3200 cas latency 2.5
RAID 0 2-36.7 Gig SATA WD 10,000 RPM
6500 Kb bandwith Internet Connection
zero4zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 12:22 PM   #3
Golden Master
Default Re: keyboard prob

That could be a solution. IRQ sharing is possible and devices work properly, but some devices are just so darn picky that they have to have their own IRQ's to work. Since IRQ sharing is not considered a ‘conflict’, your computer will not raise any red flags or yellow exclamation marks. No errors will occur, but your keyboard will still not work.

Have you tried using a PS/2 to USB adapter and just plugging it in to your USB port?
*Fact: Microsoft Window's Blue Screen of Death vs Computerforums.org's White Screen of Death. Which is worse?
ISOwner is offline   Reply With Quote