Keyboard/Mouse problems in XP

kf4qhk

Baseband Member
Ok Guys,

I have an HP M1270N comptuer that I purchased, used, from a friend less than a week ago. It is a SWEET machine! It runs Windows XP, Media center edition. It uses mouse and keyboard, ps/2 connection.

let me give you background..

Last night, I was attempting to load some maps onto a Garmin GPS for a customer, and I had had a problem with the computer hibernating during the process. I went in and changed the hibernation time to 999 minutes, and when it hibernated, for it to not reset to the "Welcome" screen.

I left the GArmin plugged in overnight, copying the maps.

When I got up this morning, the GArmin program had not progressed beyond a certain amount of map data transferred, and when I tried to close that program, I got a "This program is not responding message." I tried to shut down by going to start, shut down, but it didnt.

So, I turned it off, from the front power switch. When it booted up, I logged into windows, but my keyboard wouldn't work. I restarted it from the start menu, and when it booted up, for about 10 times, I got any of these following things happening..
1. sometimes the mouse wouldn't even work at the welcome scree
2 sometimes the mouse would work for a few seconds, after i logged in, and then it would quit working
3 sometimes the mouse would work fine, but still, no keyboard.

I checked the connections, and they are tight. I even unplugged them and plugged them back in.

What can I do?

Jeremy

I can't get it to do safe mode at all.

I have tried bumping F8 as it boots, and it doesn't. They keyboard does work before XP launches, I believe.

Jeremy

I got it to safe mode, and simply had to go back to the earliest configuration with no known problems.

Works fine now.

Jeremyu

Back
Top Bottom