Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-05-2012, 12:50 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default Keyboard letters wsx wont work

Have a hp laptop dv2000 series and the keys wsx just stopped working bought a replacement keyboard from hp and it did the same thing and suggestions

kelbo2gg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Keyboard letters wsx wont work

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathknight View Post
I mean the keyboards the keyboard nothing really you can do, I would buy a Logitech keyboard and just plug it into the labtop and use it that way. Logitechs a really good company and you can find there keyboards for a decent price
If I understand correctly, the laptop keyboard doesn't work and the replacement keyboard didn't work. So suggesting yet another keyboard probably isn't the best thing right of the bat.

@OP, does the replacement keyboard work on another computer? Did the replacement work originally? Do they not work at all or do they not work in certain programs?

jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
MMM
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelbo2gg View Post
Have a hp laptop dv2000 series and the keys wsx just stopped working bought a replacement keyboard from hp and it did the same thing and suggestions
Check your cable connection from keyboard to motherboard, clean the contacts with a bit of alcohol/electrical contact cleaner.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

Before we suggest the OP runs out and buys a new keyboard, there are a few things to try with the old.

I never said there was a setting to turn those keys off.

Also after re-reading the original post, I missed the word "replacement" and instead was thinking you bought a USB keyboard from HP. After seeing this, then my previous post is basically null and void. Instead try using a USB keyboard (as suggested) and see if it works - though the brand is really indifferent and it can just be one borrowed from another computer. I assume that since it's a laptop, you carry it around with you and keeping a full size keyboard with it is not very practical.

If the USB keyboard works, then there is likely a hardware issue on the system board.
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote