Keyboard isn't working.

chrismichael

Solid State Member
When I plug in the keyboard(I'm using a seperate computer to post here) the number/cap/scroll lock lights flash, other than that my other computer doesn't seem to be able to recognize that a keyboard is plugged into it, no response to any commands whatsoever. I tried two seperate keyboards so it doesn't seem like the actual keyboard is the problem, but the computer itself. Any ideas?

One clue that may help with any suggestions is this, when I go to control panel - keyboard - hardware tab, where it should list the name of the keyboard it is instead blank, further suggestioning the computer doesn't even realize the keyboard is plugged in.

my guess is your comp cant find drivers for them, so look for them on their website

Distortion88 said:
What sort of connection do you use to connect the keyboard, PS/2? USB?

I think its a PS/2, I know it isn't a usb, its you know the standard color coded purple kind, lol.

hmm, and i'll assume the other keyboard you tested was ps/2 as well. It could be a setting in the BIOS that needs to be changed but other than that im not entirely sure. It might come down to that the ps/2 port is damaged. Is there anything you can recall that you did to possibly cause the keyboard to not work in the first place? Or did it just happen at some random time?

and you can probably rule out drivers because you normally only install those if there are special functions on the keyboard (like audio controls, internet controls etc). But all the basics of a keyboard will work without the drivers installed.

Hey sorry I'm taking ten minutes or more to reply, I have been in the other room fiddling around with the computer.

Anyways, I was thinking it was a hardware issue as well, so what I did was tested my mouse (normally a usb mouse, but I have a PS/2 converter) in the PS/2 port and it stopped working. So like you said I think the port is probably damaged, so I'll have to bring it into a computer repair shop and have them check that out.

Sounds like hardware, but ya could try removing keyboard from device manager in safe mode and then letting windows reinstal driver just to rule that out before ya take it to get repaired.

Also worth noting that PS/2 ports arent hot swappable, so if ya have been plugging/unplugging keyboard while pc is powered up, its possible you could have damaged it

Go to, Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > System > click the Hardware tab > go to Device Manager. Then right click on your keyboard and click the Resources tab and make sure there aren't any resource conflicts, and make sure it is set to IRQ 1.

If all that is correct then your ps/2 ports are probably damaged.

Back
Top Bottom