Keyboard entering nonsense, "save as" not closing

RaisingKane

Solid State Member
Gateway, Windows XP

Recently, I've had some kind of keyboard problem that's making Word, Outlook, and Putty completely unusable.

For Outlook/Word, the "Save As" window pops up every second and immediately pops up again if I try to cancel. I have to press any key on the keyboard before it will cancel, and it doesn't stay canceled for long.

When I'm using Putty, I get endless repetitions of "4~" or "^[[4~". Backspace usually just sets it off again, and del always does. When using pico, I'm constantly getting "unknown command" messages. It starts/stops this when I try to type something but also without me doing anything.

In Photoshop, my images keep reverting.

When this problem is in effect, my backspace/delete/arrow keys often don't keep going when I hold them down, as well. When they do, it's very slow. This is the only symptom in Firefox and Notepad, which otherwise work fine.

This problem comes and goes without cause and varies in how bad it affects my computer.

How is the "Save As" window even possible? There's no key-combination for "Save As", just "Save" (this document has already been saved before). It's also odd that I have no apparent problems in Firefox...

No one knows what could be causing this odd off-and-on problem? It's a huge pain, and I've tried scanning for viruses...

Ah. So there *is* a keycut that brings up the "Save As" menu (not the Ctrl+S)... And pressing it also makes the nonsense appear when using Putty.... F12. I found an old keyboard to substitute, but I'll see if I can disable the F12 key. Funny, the key doesn't look stuck at all...

I've never used the F12 key, so I couldn't understand what the keyboard could be saying to get certain programs to act that way. Hopefully this is the source of my other problems, too.

What should I use to remap that key? I see a thing or two on Google, but I'm not sure what would be alright to use.

joxley1990 said:
Might be a faulty keyboard, or a faulty connection. Do you have any spares?
QFT

definitely sounds like either stuck keys or faulty connections with in the keyboard also connections could be bent on plug! Try a different 1 if ya can, if u dont have1 ask a neighbour or friend!

Back
Top Bottom