keyboard doesn't work with p,4,6,8,0

Are you comfortable with taking out the key caps?

See if something is stuck underneath.

Try depressing the keys directly, without the caps.

There's nothing stuck, he said it depresses, but will not react. Here's the keyboard http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003KJ08A0

And my apologies, but because I'm using the mobile app, I can't get a video URL, so look up on YouTube "How to replace an Acer Aspire One Keyboard". You'll get great help there

Last edited:
You cannot conclude this from his information. Just because it depresses doesn't mean there's nothing stuck.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but nowadays, a key itself when pressed doesn't send a signal that it's being pressed by coming in contact with a sensor when pressed together. Modern technology in keyboards allows a signal to be sent when it merely changed positions, not being touched by the sensor, because there is no touch sensor, just movement. So in theory, if something were stuck, they key would not depress correctly, but would still send a signal?

Laptop keyboards, be it membrane or dome-switch or similar hybrids, identify signals by closing circuits during depression.

Depending on how things are stuck, you could depress (the conductive layer or dome, etc.) without closing the circuit.

In any case it's more reliable to just remove the caps and see what's going on than going through guessworks of what should happen and what shouldn't.

Laptop keyboards, be it membrane or dome-switch or similar hybrids, identify signals by closing circuits during depression.

Depending on how things are stuck, you could depress (the conductive layer or dome, etc.) without closing the circuit.

In any case it's more reliable to just remove the caps and see what's going on than going through guessworks of what should happen and what shouldn't.

True dat. I think it has something to do with the keyboard though, I mean if 4, 6, 8 numbers go out, that's odd. They're all even (no pun intended). I think the wiring may be at fault

Wiring? Mmm good thinking. Since signal locations are identified by shorting using vertical and horizontal rows as coordinates (this becomes less straightforward for anti-ghosting keyboards, but anyway) -- OP, how are things with 5, 7, and 9?

Wiring? Mmm good thinking. Since signal locations are identified by shorting using vertical and horizontal rows as coordinates (this becomes less straightforward for anti-ghosting keyboards, but anyway) -- OP, how are things with 5, 7, and 9?

Wait a second, he said 0 (zero) and P went out. 0 is right above P. the next keys to go will be I, y, or R

Back
Top Bottom