Kentsfield 6600 started to climb temp sitting at idle!

Ruiner

Solid State Member
Well, I was sitting browsing the internet tonight, when I noticed my CPU fan really started to pick up some speed... Started up PC Probe and noticed the CPU temp was at 50 degrees celcius ( Usually at 37 at idle ) and the fan RPM was way up there trying to cool it down.

I turned it off, opened the case and up and let it sit for a bit. Started the comp back up and if I did nothing, it stayed at 41-42. Went to a couple websites and it started to raise to 46 again.

Any suggestions?

It's a STOCK kentsfield ( no overclocking ) on an asus striker extreme in a Elite case by cooler master. 1 120mm fan in the rear, massive copper cooling from the striker board, the cpu fan, and a 80mm fan in the front.

I'm now nervous to the leave the comp on like I have been, and am wondering if I should upgrade the cooler. I hate to have to remove the thermal paste and apply new stuff and put a new cooler on...

Anyone have any ideas? or do you think its defective, and I should return it to newegg and get a new CPU?

i had overheating problems with mine too, i reapplied the thermal grease.

If you have artic silver type in quad core artic silver in google and it will show you how to exactly lay it on the proccesor

45c is hardly overheating. What are your ambient temps? And I would put a 120mm fan in the front as well for intake.

Before doing anything else check that the push pins holding the cooler down are correctly and firmly secured, sounds like a classic case of one or more letting go. (this is the most common problem with the Skt 775 stock cpu cooler)

I hate those pins, especially when you a have a huge 1KG cooler hanging from them, it seems as though the mobo is going to be pulled right off. I prefer something more secure.

I do remember having a HELL of a time getting the stock heatsink and fan on there... It didn't want to let me snap all of them... I'm guessing you guys are right and it's let loose on one side...

Is it ok to push it down and get it clicked back in, or will it screw up the thermal stuff, and I need to reapply...

I really do not want to be doing that, but I guess I may not have a choice.

Just to be safe, you should probably reapply it, especially if it's silver based with silicon based stuff it's not so serious if you don't reapply it.

PS. I remember I had to push so hard I thought I was going to break the motherboard.. It just didn't want to let me push it on all 4 evenly when it was in the case... Should I remove the motherboard and apply the heatsink/fan while it is outside, so I can actually push from the backside of the motherbaord while pushing it on?

Back
Top Bottom