Kentsfield 6600 started to climb temp sitting at idle!

Just to be safe, you should probably reapply it, especially if it's silver based with silicon based stuff it's not so serious if you don't reapply it.

I'm gonna pull the motherboard tonight and apply arctic silver 5, and reattach that pos.

Why did they make it attach like that? I've never seen a style so CHEAP and horrible, especially since I'm using a quadcore and one of the nicest boards...

Why did they make it attach like that? I've never seen a style so CHEAP and horrible, especially since I'm using a quadcore and one of the nicest boards...

You're not the only one who wonders that. We all hate it, but some of the higher end coolers use screws and the motherboard back plate so they are more secure.

Well, I checked and the heatsink and fan were still attached properly. I did change the position of my hard drive. ( It was blocking the front intake fan ) and moved it lower, so that the fan will not be blowing hot air into the computer. I also picked up a 120mm for the front, and placed the 80mm I had on the front on the side.

I did some wire tucking, and will keep an eye on temps. Looks like it is down to 37-38 again under minor load.

Thanks for the help guys.

On another note... Has anyone been able to get their soundmax superbeam microphone to work...

I tried, and getting it to see it has been downright horrible. I finally got it, after letting the soundmax bullcrap auto detect it, and then I selected that I had plugged that in.

I couldn't get it to work well with counterstrike or call of duty... Played with the microphone boost, etc... Just doesn't work unless I have it up to my mouth.

On another note..... been an awesome night...

turns out my power supply fan is dead... It turns on every now and then, but is allowing a heat build up. I have an external stanley floor fan pointed into the case, and temps have dropped to 27C at idle... 31-35 under load...

Until I can call coolermaster tomorrow and get a new one, I'll keep running it like this...

Ive had bigger issues tonight though. My external with all my important data got messed up. I was troubleshooting the comp ( which had removable devices at first boot option ) and missed the "press del to enter setup" screen, so I ctrl+alt+del and must have hit the exact point where I could mess up the external...

When windows loaded afterwards, it said unrecognized usb device, please replace, and was in a constant read loop when hooked to another laptop, and computer. I've got it running chk dsk on my other computer...

it said

file record segment 1500 is unreadable.
file record segment 1501 is unreadable.
file record segment 1502 is unreadable.
file record segment 1504 is unreadable.
file record segment 1540 is unreadable.
file record segment 1567 is unreadable.
file record segment 4050 is unreadable.
file record segment 4051 is unreadable.
file record segment 4052 is unreadable.
file record segment 4073 is unreadable.

etc... it listed a lot more than that. I'm assuming they got corrupted or something. Anyways, the thing is stuck n file verification complete...

Looks like I may have to use linux to pull data off the hard drive, as windows won't read it, with the errors...

Which makes me extremely angry. Anyways, any suggestions on that... Should I reboot the comp and see if it reads it?

I hardwired it into the comp on the IDE, and it read the correct amount of data, but when you explored it, there was nothign there.. ( said 74gb full ) which is correct. So everything is there.... just blocked from view with windows it seems....

Has not been a good week. I really need the data off that external..

I had the same problem when I was building my pc with a Q6600 and the stock fan. A True Folder helped me out to fix the problem and it turned out it was because of the god forsaken stock fan. It was total trash! I suggest getting a Zalman 9700NT like I have, it works amazingly. My CPU idles around 29-31C and my case idles around 30-32C (I have 2x120mm front/rear fans also). Remember with the Q6600 Intel recommends the cpu idle not higher than 38C.

Back
Top Bottom