Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-17-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default Keeps freezing! Help?

I have a custom rig that a friend gave me, but unfortunately it wasn't hers originally. This is what it has (that I know of)

Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe mobo,
PowerSpec 500W PSU,
Corsair XMS2 DDR2 512mb (x4),
Western Digital 200gb 300mb/s 7200rpm
EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
Netgear WG311T wireless PCI card
Creative Labs X-fi Sound Blaster XtremeGamer sound card
Unknown CPU, just know it's an intel dual.
Writemaster DVD burner

When I got it, the OS was bad, so I installed Windows 7 x64 and tried her out. Took forever for the OS to install but when I turned her on she booted fine. Got everything set up, personalized it, even downloaded League of Legends and played a little.Then it started..
Hard freezes. The IDE light would die completely, no hard drive activity, nothing. Just a frozen screen and an unresponsive rig. I'd be forced to restart.
Finally, I cracked the shell open and took a look at her guts. The video card had blown capacitors, but somehow still worked. I looked the video card up, it's a known issue. So I did what any other broke 19 year old would do. I ordered new capacitors and soldered them on the video card. The new capacitors weren't the same height as the old ones, so it's no longer low profile.. I slapped everything back together and booted her up, and it displayed! But because it was no longer low profile, I had toput it in the other PCIe x16 slot.. So the drivers weren't responding correctly or something.. Resolution couldn't be changed. Only way I know how to fix this is reinstall the OS.. >.> So I tried. And it hard froze half way through the install..

So please, somebody help me figure out what's making it hard freeze.=[
phatboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote