Keeping my Processor cool...

cbo

Solid State Member
I just built my first computer and i have an Intel Pentium 4 2.8 ghz 533 fbs. I have the stock heatsink/fan on it. I have a Cheiftech Dragon case. The 2 back fans which are right next to the processor i have blowing cool air over the processor. The CPU fan blows air on the chip so the cool air from the back is sucked into that fan which is in turn blown on the chip. I play Unreal Tournament a lot and noticed the temp of the processor is about 65 celiusish when playing. Will that temp damage my chip after a short time or long time. I also have a side case fan which blows air onto the motherboard. I have just bought 2 more fans for the front of the case which i'll use as exhaust so it removes the hot air.

At idle it runs about 45 celsius. Any advice on how to cool it down even more w/o buying a 400 dollar water cooling set. Any advice would be appreciated.

a better fan and heatsink? Stock items are usualy crappy. Buy something that is for a P4 3.2 so it will cool you 2.8 niceeee, and a nic copper based heatsink.

Don't worry about it until the computer starts shutting off.

Today's motherboards read the temperature of the chip and built within the chip itself is a sensor that when the max temp is reached it will turn the computer off automaticlly.

This temp at which the chip shut itself off is actually under the temperature that will cause harm to the chip itself.

The standard cooling fan for a P4 is just fine even if you see the temp rise up to 65°C. If you start to overclock your chip then I would be a better cooling method.

I would start to worry when temps are running consistently above 75°C. I believe 75-80 is when most chips will start to automaticlly shut down. That is for a P4 chip.

AMD chips run a lot hotter then a standard P4. That is why there are a lot more cooling options for AMD than for the P4.

to cbo

If I remember correctly, a fan system should be setup so that the back fans act as an exhaust, pushing the air out of the case while side-panel and front fans act as intakes bringing fresh air into the case. :rolleyes:
To each his own though, if you like your current setup, keep it.

Thanks for the help all. I have 2 more fans coming in so that'll give me a total of 6 fans (not including powersupply fans). I will switch around the topback fans to exhaust and the two in the front will be intake. Thanks for the advice everyone.

I told you don't worry, but it looks like you are having WAAAYYYY to much fun putting fans in your computer.

Why don't you just leave off the sides to allow for maximum air flow, or better yet why don't you just put together a liquid cooled system? That's right you didn't want to spend a lot of money. Your CPU is designed and meant to run at temp excessing 90°C without any damage to the chip. A safety margin of 75°C is communicated to us, the end user, to help us from even coming close to the 90°C. AMD chips run much hotter then Intel chips and all they have is a fan as well. Plus if you blow the chip due to temp with a standard fan, Intel will give you a new. So in other words, IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!!!

Spend your money on games and have fun on your computer. Stop putting in fans in your case unless you want to do some mods on your case then mentioned that and I bet you will get a ton of ideas from the users around here.

Your computer will shut down if its gets to hot based on the settings for that function in your bios-In some you can even disable the shutdown feature. It needs to be checked-Cool running is a preferred thing but 6 fans is not a great idea, if the air flow is changed to a rediculous degree the chip could actually run hotter because you could be guiding air away from the cpu cooling fan. An inlet fan from the front and an exit fan through your power supply is fine-a side mount is ok to. You also must remember that the more fans you have the more garbage you force into the case-dust,dirt,smoke etcra. Clean it out alot with compressed air. Also-you can't cool with hot air-I can't count the number of computer rooms Ive been in where the ambiant air temp was near 90-blowing hot air is just that blowing hot air.

killerdoberman...Like i said before, this is the first time i've built a computer myself for me so i wanna make sure it doesn't burn up. I also had no idea how hot processors can run until they get damaged and i didn't know about the automatic shutoff. What mods to my case you talkin about, any ideas b/c i wanna do more stuff to it.

For info on Mods, just type into any search engine computer mods and a ton of ideas will show up.

Fans, lights, blacklight mods, LEDs, case cutting mods, windows, anything that is not standard is basically a mods.

I have seen some pretty cool and stupid things. I have one of the stupid ones. I made made server case out of a milk create. Cooler ones have an Xbox built in, glowing water cooled and even a movable remote control case that carries its own monitor.

Mods are fun and can become habit forming. Sometimes to the extreme. I have spent a whole weekend drink Mountain Dew, cutting cases adding lights and fans and found myself looking at the clock because it was Monday morning and I haven't slept the entire weekend.

I but some other MODers and/or gamers have some of the same stories to tell.

There is even a MOD threads here with pictures. Look around.

Back
Top Bottom