keep upgrading computer

Allright so I made a list with all the computer components ( if i miss anything please let me know)
Could you tell me how long it takes before you upgrade that particular part?
It's the research for my graduation project and I want the know the average lifte time of each component before it's upgraded.

Thanks a lot! :D

Motherboard
videocard
RAM
CPU
Hard Drive
Network card
Sound card
Disc/dvd/floppy drive

Cooling (fans)
Power supply
The Casing

Extra:
Screen
Mouse
Keyboard
Speakers

Dave

First of i don't think you are gonna need a sound card and a net card. they are both inbuilt to the motherboard.
you only buy a net card or sound card if you have some specific need for one.

now about the life span. that really depends on how good that component are and who are using it. it also depends on what the future brings us. but i'll try to come up with some numbers for some of the computer components. i have left out RAM, CPU and Motherboard because that can be so much different from person to person, but i'll say it's all within 5 years.

An up to date graphic card:
an average user with computer knowledge: Never. the one they have will handle video viewing, multiple monitors and flash just fine.
a Gamer: every 1-3 years.
a video editor: 2-5 years.

Hardrives.
2-6 years for both gamers and average users.

Case:
if it is good enough, then you don't need to change it.

PSU:
if it is quality and have a enough WATT, then you can have it for many years to come.

Fans.
as long as they work and are good, you can have them forever if you are not changing to a smaller case formfactor.
the CPU fan can you have as long as the socket are supported by the fan.

mouse keyboard and speekers:
until they brake.

Last edited:
Screen also works for years just like your tv.. And as said above by EchoNatek it depends on usage and quality..
In India I would like to say it also depends on ur electricity connection. :D
If there are voltage fluctuations then all ur components life time is affected..
I personally use a voltage stabilizer.. :p

deepesh1193:
electricity connection and voltage fluctuations... that sucks.
i might be going to India next summer for vacation. India seems like a nice place to spend a week of summer vacation.
hope i don't need a stabilizer for my smartphone charger. :D

davehakkens:
about the CPU RAM and motherboard lifespan:
i can say that i personally have had my CPU RAM and motherboard for 3½ years. the RAM and motherboard are doing fine, but i am for sure gonna change the CPU somewhere in 2013. by doing so, i'll also have to change the motherboard, because i am using first generation core i7 on the X56 Chipset.
if at that time i get a motherboard with quad channel support, i'll change the RAM as well.
i currently have 6 gig of RAM in trible channel, and it would be nice to have a 4x2 kit (8gig) in quad channel.
if i do so i will have the RAM all set for at least 3 years more to come :D

EchoNatek:
i never needed a stabilizer for my smartphone.. :p
also once saw on the smartphone that you are being saved of high electric power or something like that.. may be smart phones are smart enough.. :D

and also I am using my desktop for around 4 years.. didn't change anything except the Sony DVD-RW which sucks.. Its life time is of only one year.. and the cpu fan which i broke.. :p

Back
Top Bottom