Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-21-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
In Runtime
 
Dustin_Broke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 140
Send a message via MSN to Dustin_Broke Send a message via Yahoo to Dustin_Broke Send a message via Skype™ to Dustin_Broke
Default Just wondering

I have found two older video cards and I was wondering overall which would be better. I would assume that AGP is alot better and faster transfer rate so I would think that the Intel740 video card is alot better even though the GPU is older than Radeon 7200. These are around 10 years old cards so please don't compair them to moderen cards.



Intel740 AGP 2X

ATI Radeon 7200 PCI
__________________

__________________
Dustin_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
Daemon Poster
 
GibsonSGKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,384
Default Re: Just wondering

Stop making the same posts and questions! We have already told you, the slot speed in this case doesn't matter, because you don't actually have an AGP slot. Your integrated graphics are terrible. It's not a lot better than anything, it's just downright awful. The ATI card would be faster by far, especially seeing as it has it's own video ram. BUT, you're powersupply will most likely choke when you try to run it, because it's puny (assuming you haven't upgraded it). All in all, you're throwing money into the trashcan with this computer, and should just build another one because you would get way more for your money.
__________________

__________________
C2Q Q9400 @ 3.2GHZ | Zalman 9900 LED HeatSink | Asus P5E3 Pro Motherboard | CM Storm Scout case | 1TB Caviar Black HDD | GTX760 4GB | 23" Acer [1920x1080] & 21.6" Asus [1920x1080] monitors
GibsonSGKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
Fully Optimized
 
dude_56013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,262
Default Re: Just wondering

GAHHHHHHHHHHhhh. Stop making new threads on the same topic which we have already answered 295843598 times! GAHHHHH. Get a life!
__________________
dude_56013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
In Runtime
 
Dustin_Broke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 140
Send a message via MSN to Dustin_Broke Send a message via Yahoo to Dustin_Broke Send a message via Skype™ to Dustin_Broke
Default Re: Just wondering

I did research and found out that the Intel740 is the same as the Intel 810 that is onboard but the Intel740 is actualy an video card. So that's why I wanted to compair them both. I found this out on a website.


Here is an actualy card that is the same as my onboard AGP video adapter.


http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-740-Graphi...item3a5c3471ad

Or is it the same that the Radeon 7200 PCI card is still better than that AGP card.


I know that if my Radeon 7200 was AGP then it would be better than the Intel AGP card but since mine is PCI that's why I thought the AGP is better.
__________________
Dustin_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
Golden Master
 
Cabbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,912
Send a message via AIM to Cabbs
Default Re: Just wondering

Your computer is so old that it doesn't matter what's better. Stop throwing away your money and put it towards a better computer. Your dollar will go much further that way.
__________________
=Like anime? Come to AnimeAppeal.com!=
||DFI UT P35||Q9550@3400 Mhz||Geil 4GB RAM||Radeon 5770||
Cabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
Daemon Poster
 
GibsonSGKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,384
Default Re: Just wondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin_Broke View Post
I did research and found out that the Intel740 is the same as the Intel 810 that is onboard but the Intel740 is actualy an video card. So that's why I wanted to compair them both. I found this out on a website.


Here is an actualy card that is the same as my onboard AGP video adapter.


http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-740-Graphi...item3a5c3471ad

Or is it the same that the Radeon 7200 PCI card is still better than that AGP card.


I know that if my Radeon 7200 was AGP then it would be better than the Intel AGP card but since mine is PCI that's why I thought the AGP is better.
Did you even read what I typed? Are you reading anyones responses for that matter? You're practically putting your fingers in your ears and yelling when we respond. The 7200 will not max out a PCI bus, so it doesn't matter either way. AGP doesn't mean crap in this case, since you do not have an AGP bus, you don't have an AGP card, and you never will in this computer. The 7200 is better, period, stop making threads about it.
__________________
C2Q Q9400 @ 3.2GHZ | Zalman 9900 LED HeatSink | Asus P5E3 Pro Motherboard | CM Storm Scout case | 1TB Caviar Black HDD | GTX760 4GB | 23" Acer [1920x1080] & 21.6" Asus [1920x1080] monitors
GibsonSGKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:22 PM   #7
In Runtime
 
Dustin_Broke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 140
Send a message via MSN to Dustin_Broke Send a message via Yahoo to Dustin_Broke Send a message via Skype™ to Dustin_Broke
Default Re: Just wondering

Btw my power supply is doing fine with the Radeon 7200 and I' am having no trouble with anything. It working the same way as it did without the card. I think when I will actualy need a new power supply is when I get a card like the Radeon 9250 or GeForce FX series or better. The Radeon 7200 was made the same time as this machine was so it should work and it is working like it's suppose to. Plus this card wasn't top of the line back then so it probley uses very low power.
__________________
Dustin_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:02 PM   #8
Golden Master
 
Cabbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,912
Send a message via AIM to Cabbs
Default Re: Just wondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonSGKing View Post
Did you even read what I typed? Are you reading anyones responses for that matter? You're practically putting your fingers in your ears and yelling when we respond. The 7200 will not max out a PCI bus, so it doesn't matter either way. AGP doesn't mean crap in this case, since you do not have an AGP bus, you don't have an AGP card, and you never will in this computer. The 7200 is better, period, stop making threads about it.
He's probably trolling us.
__________________
=Like anime? Come to AnimeAppeal.com!=
||DFI UT P35||Q9550@3400 Mhz||Geil 4GB RAM||Radeon 5770||
Cabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:44 PM   #9
Daemon Poster
 
GibsonSGKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,384
Default Re: Just wondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbs View Post
He's probably trolling us.
Or is just chronically stupid. Seriously, this is getting on my nerves now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin_Broke View Post
Btw my power supply is doing fine with the Radeon 7200 and I' am having no trouble with anything. It working the same way as it did without the card. I think when I will actualy need a new power supply is when I get a card like the Radeon 9250 or GeForce FX series or better. The Radeon 7200 was made the same time as this machine was so it should work and it is working like it's suppose to. Plus this card wasn't top of the line back then so it probley uses very low power.
We have been through this. Foothead even spelled it out for you. Your PSU is only around 40 watts. That is way undershooting for that video card. Just because a Dell is made around the same time as a GTX260 is released does not mean it can use the video card without crapping out. You're playing with fire with that video card. It's most likely going to blow up in the near future, taking other components down with it.
__________________
C2Q Q9400 @ 3.2GHZ | Zalman 9900 LED HeatSink | Asus P5E3 Pro Motherboard | CM Storm Scout case | 1TB Caviar Black HDD | GTX760 4GB | 23" Acer [1920x1080] & 21.6" Asus [1920x1080] monitors
GibsonSGKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #10
In Runtime
 
Dustin_Broke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 140
Send a message via MSN to Dustin_Broke Send a message via Yahoo to Dustin_Broke Send a message via Skype™ to Dustin_Broke
Default Re: Just wondering

Eather way how do you know that it will stop working forsure when it's working fine for a long time now? I have talked to alot of people and they said my power supply should work with this card. Also if the video card is forsure taking too much power then my PC won't even boot. Since it works and loads fine it should work fine. I even asked the ATI tech guys and showed them my power supply specs and they said it will work fine. But they said that if I wanted to use the Radeon 9250 then I will need a power supply at least 200 watts. But for the 7200 it will work fine they said. Are you saying the techs are lieing?? Also the other people who I talked to are lieing to me??
__________________
Dustin_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:25 PM   #11
Golden Master
 
Cabbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,912
Send a message via AIM to Cabbs
Default Re: Just wondering

I'm saying that you should

------>Save your money for a new computer<------

That's the only advice I'll give you. I don't like helping people waste their money. I'm sure $50 could get you a computer off Craigslist that would kick the crap out of your current computer.
__________________
=Like anime? Come to AnimeAppeal.com!=
||DFI UT P35||Q9550@3400 Mhz||Geil 4GB RAM||Radeon 5770||
Cabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:01 PM   #12
Daemon Poster
 
GibsonSGKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,384
Default Re: Just wondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin_Broke View Post
Eather way how do you know that it will stop working forsure when it's working fine for a long time now? I have talked to alot of people and they said my power supply should work with this card. Also if the video card is forsure taking too much power then my PC won't even boot. Since it works and loads fine it should work fine. I even asked the ATI tech guys and showed them my power supply specs and they said it will work fine. But they said that if I wanted to use the Radeon 9250 then I will need a power supply at least 200 watts. But for the 7200 it will work fine they said. Are you saying the techs are lieing?? Also the other people who I talked to are lieing to me??
Quote:
ATI Radeon 7200 PCI 32mb DDR
by Dustin_Broke - 6/7/10 9:33 AM

Will the ATI Radeon 7200 PCI 32mb DDR work on my current 150 watt power supply? I know this is an older card than the 9250 so I assumed this would be fine but just want to make sure what others thing.
I did a quick google search and came up with this. You're telling people you have a 150 watt PSU, when you don't. That's why people say it will work. Sure your computer works for now, but you're overloading your psu. One day when you are putting stress on it, it's most likely going to crap out. Like I said, you're playing with fire. This is the last I'm going to even attempt to help you, and I see that foothead and cabbs appear to be taking the same route, so ciao
__________________
C2Q Q9400 @ 3.2GHZ | Zalman 9900 LED HeatSink | Asus P5E3 Pro Motherboard | CM Storm Scout case | 1TB Caviar Black HDD | GTX760 4GB | 23" Acer [1920x1080] & 21.6" Asus [1920x1080] monitors
GibsonSGKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:25 PM   #13
Omnicide now.
 
foothead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: My own personal hell
Posts: 10,021
Default Re: Just wondering

OP, you are telling "ATI" that you have a 150w psu.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messagevi...hreadid=133695

Idk how many times I have to spell it out, but you do not have a 150w psu. The manufacturer used a different rating system to get that number. By today's standards, it is 48w, but it is also old as hell, which means you should keep it under 80% load at all times due to capacitor aging. That means it is not safe over 40w if you want it to last.

Now the CPU alone uses 27.2w. I would expect the chipset and other motherboard components to use somewhere around 5-10w. That leaves you with virtually nothing. Once you add the tdp of your video card (about 20w from my estimation) then you are over both the tdp I would recommend, and the tdp listed as max on the power supply itself. It will ripple extremely bad, shortening the life of components. It will also kill the psu very quickly. I give it 6 months, One year tops before that thing craps out. When it craps out, I give your pc a 40% chance of surviving, and even that is being generous.

Just save a bit of money and buy something with a P4 and pci express. You might as well take your money and burn it if you really intend to upgrade the psu and put a geforce fx in this thing.

Edit: GAHHH!!!! How many times must you ask the same question if you are just going to ignore everyone's responses?

http://www.geek.com/forums/topic/ati-radeon-7200-pci

http://www.geek.com/forums/topic/pow...-video-cards-1

http://www.videocards.com/forums/sho...723#post183723

http://www.videocards.com/forums/sho...-7200-PCI-32mb

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/28...ard-agp2x-chip

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/291229-33-intel-cards

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/29...ch-card-better

http://www.devhardware.com/forums/at...bt-308770.html

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7813_102...sageID=3325386

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7591_102...hreadID=396656

http://forums.amd.com/game/messagevi...VIEWTMP=Branch

Look, either accept what we are saying, or don't. Just ignoring it is going to get you absolutely nowhere. I have a feeling that most members here are trying to be patient with you, but you are making that impossible. Please read other people's posts, and take our responses into consideration.

Btw, If you want a proper answer to if your graphics card will run on your psu, post ONLY the psu specs, in text form, with no mention of '150 watts' anywhere. Your answer will be quite different. I can almost guaruntee you that people just saw '150w' and assumed that was on the +12v rail, without checking the picture of the label you posted for the amperage.

So I'm outta here. If you don't wanna believe me, it's your money and your computer.
__________________
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:02 AM   #14
Fully Optimized
 
dude_56013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,262
Default Re: Just wondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbs View Post
He's probably trolling us.
Most likely. Anyone read his profile. Seems bogus to me.

Quote:
Date of Birth:
December 17, 1984
Age:
25
Biography:
My name is Dallas and I' am a proud gay guy. I' am Japanese but I was born in Omaha, NE USA.
Location:
Omaha, NE USA
Interests:
Boys, Games, Computers, Trees, Weather, Dinosaurs, Audio
Occupation:
Looking for one
lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbs View Post
I'm saying that you should

------>Save your money for a new computer<------

That's the only advice I'll give you. I don't like helping people waste their money. I'm sure $50 could get you a computer off Craigslist that would kick the crap out of your current computer.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
OP, you are telling "ATI" that you have a 150w psu.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messagevi...hreadid=133695

Idk how many times I have to spell it out, but you do not have a 150w psu. The manufacturer used a different rating system to get that number. By today's standards, it is 48w, but it is also old as hell, which means you should keep it under 80% load at all times due to capacitor aging. That means it is not safe over 40w if you want it to last.

Now the CPU alone uses 27.2w. I would expect the chipset and other motherboard components to use somewhere around 5-10w. That leaves you with virtually nothing. Once you add the tdp of your video card (about 20w from my estimation) then you are over both the tdp I would recommend, and the tdp listed as max on the power supply itself. It will ripple extremely bad, shortening the life of components. It will also kill the psu very quickly. I give it 6 months, One year tops before that thing craps out. When it craps out, I give your pc a 40% chance of surviving, and even that is being generous.

Just save a bit of money and buy something with a P4 and pci express. You might as well take your money and burn it if you really intend to upgrade the psu and put a geforce fx in this thing.

Edit: GAHHH!!!! How many times must you ask the same question if you are just going to ignore everyone's responses?

http://www.geek.com/forums/topic/ati-radeon-7200-pci

http://www.geek.com/forums/topic/pow...-video-cards-1

http://www.videocards.com/forums/sho...723#post183723

http://www.videocards.com/forums/sho...-7200-PCI-32mb

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/28...ard-agp2x-chip

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/291229-33-intel-cards

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/29...ch-card-better

http://www.devhardware.com/forums/at...bt-308770.html

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7813_102...sageID=3325386

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7591_102...hreadID=396656

http://forums.amd.com/game/messagevi...VIEWTMP=Branch

Look, either accept what we are saying, or don't. Just ignoring it is going to get you absolutely nowhere. I have a feeling that most members here are trying to be patient with you, but you are making that impossible. Please read other people's posts, and take our responses into consideration.

Btw, If you want a proper answer to if your graphics card will run on your psu, post ONLY the psu specs, in text form, with no mention of '150 watts' anywhere. Your answer will be quite different. I can almost guaruntee you that people just saw '150w' and assumed that was on the +12v rail, without checking the picture of the label you posted for the amperage.

So I'm outta here. If you don't wanna believe me, it's your money and your computer.
OMFG. If I could only reach through the internet and punch someone....
__________________
dude_56013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:19 AM   #15
Golden Master
 
sniperviper21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 5,450
Default Re: Just wondering

that just made the BEST screen shot of all CF time.
__________________
You got to have a Fiddle in the band!
sniperviper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:24 AM   #16
In Runtime
 
Dustin_Broke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 140
Send a message via MSN to Dustin_Broke Send a message via Yahoo to Dustin_Broke Send a message via Skype™ to Dustin_Broke
Default Re: Just wondering

When I research something I ask as many people and see what answer I get. But I have actualy on some showed a pic of my power supply specs and also when I contacted ATI tech from there website I attached a pic of the power supply specs and even when they saw that they said that the Radeon 7200 will work fine. Also there are more other forums that I asked these questions about. I' am listening to you guys but I want to get the most common answer meaning yes it will work or no and most so far are saying it will work. Technicly this is the only forums I been saying that forsure it won't work. If others are saying it will and on some I actaualy attached the pic of the power supply specs then it means the ones that says it works wins. If I was able to I wish I was able to post on worldwide computer forums and then everyone was able to see my questions since it is alot of work to post many the same topics on different forums. But I learned that's the best way to get the right answers I need.
__________________
Dustin_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:32 AM   #17
Fully Optimized
 
dude_56013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,262
Default Re: Just wondering

Leave and go to those other forums and GTFO then. Simple as that. Apparently there is no mutual respect between members here and you; you don't accept our answers, and you just keep asking the same goddamn questions. FFS. We aren't going anywhere and our opinions about your problems aren't changing, so it'd be best if you clicked the little red X on your screen and left this corner of the internet permanently.
__________________
dude_56013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:42 AM   #18
In Runtime
 
Dustin_Broke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 140
Send a message via MSN to Dustin_Broke Send a message via Yahoo to Dustin_Broke Send a message via Skype™ to Dustin_Broke
Default Re: Just wondering

Ok I' am not saying you are bad or anything but I' am basicly trying to find the true facts from everyone and basicly it's kinda like I' am voting to see which answer is used the most. Like Yes or No. I' am not trying to be a jerk and trying to be mean to you guys or anything ok. Since in person I' am a very nice person. But just when it comes to computers, audio etc. I must find the right answer and the best way to do is to ask everyone on the net and vote to see whos saying yes more or whos saying no. Also I ask questions like which video card is better and I ask that on many forums and who ever says one card is the best the most wins.

I' am sorry if I made you guys upset but I didn't mean this to happen. Also it might be part of my OCD since I get soo focussed and want to find the right answer.

Also on ATI website I did forsure upload the pic of my power supply so they did see it and still said it will work. I just wanted to figure out why you guys are the only ones pretty much saying it won't work. I trying to figure this out. I' am kinda confused.

Btw are you guys making fun of me that I' am gay when you read my profile??
__________________
Dustin_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:47 AM   #19
Golden Master
 
sniperviper21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 5,450
Default Re: Just wondering

no, not making fun.

making fun of how you seem to disregard EVERYONES answers.

if your so OCD about true facts.

PERHAPS you should focus on newer cards.
__________________
You got to have a Fiddle in the band!
sniperviper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:55 AM   #20
Guru
 
JogaBonito1502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 7,841
Default Re: Just wondering

I feel like I have to point this out, even though it doesn't pertain to the topic at hand. The members here at CF don't judge. The most you'll get out of us is a little flaming when one calls another a fanboy. Or maybe you'll see some people's fuses getting short when they start to get annoyed (like some of the people who have been reading your response to what they have recommended). There is nothing wrong with that; people get annoyed, so what. But, we never judge people here at CF for personal preferences. One of our former (I haven't seen him around lately so I don't know if he still holds the position) mods is gay. He's a pretty cool guy, into DJ'ing.

edit: I double-checked, DJ Chris is still a mod
__________________

__________________
JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
×